World Families Forums - A Success Story? Time (and an upgrade to 67 markers!) Will Tell

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 10:31:14 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  A Success Story? Time (and an upgrade to 67 markers!) Will Tell
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Success Story? Time (and an upgrade to 67 markers!) Will Tell  (Read 7085 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »

I heard from this new match this morning, and I wrote him back. Nothing really new to report except the contact, which is a good sign. We'll see how it goes.

gtc
Old Hand

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 11:52:39 PM »

I heard from this new match this morning, and I wrote him back. Nothing really new to report except the contact, which is a good sign. We'll see how it goes.

Getting a reply is certainly a good sign. Let's hope he stays in contact as new things are discovered.

Y-DNA: R1b-Z12* (R1b1a2a1a1a3b2b1a1a1) GGG-GF Ireland (roots reportedly Anglo-Norman)
mtDNA: I3b (FMS) Maternal lines Irish
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2012, 10:45:01 PM »

Not that anybody but me cares, but I haven't heard anything more from this latest match.

It's really aggravating when you get a good match and the person just isn't really interested.

C'est la vie, I guess.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »

Just when I had given up on this new match - boom! - I got a nice email from him this morning! Nothing earth-shaking yet, but he is apparently the first cousin of my earlier Beddoes 65/67 match.

He is still in the early learning stages of genetic genealogy, but at least we are exchanging emails now.

Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »

Just when I had given up on this new match - boom! - I got a nice email from him this morning! Nothing earth-shaking yet, but he is apparently the first cousin of my earlier Beddoes 65/67 match.

He is still in the early learning stages of genetic genealogy, but at least we are exchanging emails now.

That's good news, I have a couple of matches at 37 loci who won't communicate with me so I know how frustrating it can be !!

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »

That's good news, I have a couple of matches at 37 loci who won't communicate with me so I know how frustrating it can be !!

Thanks!

I filled him in on the information you found for me out of Cardeston, Shropshire, that is part of this thread's original post. Remember that? That was three, nearly four, years ago! This is certainly not a hobby for the impatient or those who bounce from one thing to another.

Hopefully, he'll be interested.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:53:44 PM by rms2 » Logged

Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »

Thanks!

I filled him in on the information you found for me out of Cardeston, Shropshire, that is part of this thread's original post. Remember that? That was three, nearly four, years ago! This is certainly not a hobby for the impatient or those who bounce from one thing to another.

Yes very well, I got that info out of Ancestry's parish records CD for Shropshire. Unfortunately they've stopped doing those now but I look through Ebay from time to time looking for the Staffordshire one.

Has this fellow done much Genealogy ?

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 04:56:38 AM »

Thanks!

Yes very well, I got that info out of Ancestry's parish records CD for Shropshire. Unfortunately they've stopped doing those now but I look through Ebay from time to time looking for the Staffordshire one.

Has this fellow done much Genealogy ?

He hasn't told me that much yet, so I don't know. I hope he has.

Mitchell-since-1893

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 12:56:08 AM »

I'm where you were at the beginning of this thread.  My closest 67 marker match is GD of 11.  Hopefully I will one day have a similiar story to tell.

Happy for your success story.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 04:52:02 AM »

This isn't really a success story yet. It has raised more questions for me than it has supplied answers.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »

I haven't heard from this most recent Beddoes match since 02 December. But what is interesting is that one of my exact 12-marker matches, who has also tested DF41+, just got his 67-marker upgrade, and we're a 63/67 match. Not bad! His surname is Samuel, and what is really interesting is that his most distant y ancestor came from Powys, Wales.

He matches some of my other close matches more closely than I do, so there is something interesting going on there. One of them is my Stephens with a "ph" match: Samuel is two off him, and I am three off.

Given my other matches with persons with known Welsh surnames - Beddoes, Price - I am really becoming convinced that my immigrant y-dna ancestor may have come from Wales. Don't know for sure, but the evidence seems to be mounting.

I think the key here is the relatively late adoption of fixed surnames in Wales and the common use of patronymics; that way you can get some closely y-related folks with a number of different surnames.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:24:58 PM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »

I haven't heard from this most recent Beddoes match since 02 December. But what is interesting is that one of my exact 12-marker matches, who has also tested DF41+, just got his 67-marker upgrade, and we're a 63/67 match. Not bad! His surname is Samuel, and what is really interesting is that his most distant y ancestor came from Powys, Wales.

He matches some of my other close matches more closely than I do, so there is something interesting going on there. One of them is my Stephens with a "ph" match: Samuel is two off him, and I am three off.

Given my other matches with persons with known Welsh surnames - Beddoes, Price - I am really becoming convinced that my immigrant y-dna ancestor may have come from Wales. Don't know for sure, but the evidence seems to be mounting.

I think the key here is the relatively late adoption of fixed surnames in Wales and the common use of patronymics; that way you can get some closely y-related folks with a number of different surnames.

The distance of four from Samuel comes on three fast-mutating markers: CDY, 413, and 557. We have two differences at CDY, which is notoriously changeable, one at 413, and one at 557.

Interesting . . .

Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »

The calendar of probate and administrations acts 1407-1550 in the Consistory Court of the Bishops of Herefordshire (a really catchy title for a book :) has a 20 page index devoted to people with Welsh patronymic names.

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »

The calendar of probate and administrations acts 1407-1550 in the Consistory Court of the Bishops of Herefordshire (a really catchy title for a book :) has a 20 page index devoted to people with Welsh patronymic names.

You can see how one man might be the progenitor of any number of surnames, if he had several sons who in turn had sons of their own.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:21:54 PM by rms2 » Logged

Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »

You can see how one man might be the progenitor of any number of surnames, if he had several sons who in turn had sons of their own.

Indeed, the book I mentioned only shows a small window but having a look through I found the will of Walter ap Hoell ap Stevyn of Radnor dated 1529 which I think illustrates your point quite nicely. Also a Richard ap John Corbett of Worthyn (NE Shropshire) dated 1520 which shows English families used this tradition as well.

Slightly anecdotal but I was quite surprised how many Hereford wills I came across for people with patronymic names in the 17th and I think 18th C whilst trying to locate one for my crowd.

BTW As I'm sure you know Powys is a large modern county that swallowed a number of smaller counties, did your Samuels match mention which area his folks came from ?

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »

Yes, Erwood; map coordinates 52.0779, -3.3165.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 19 queries.