World Families Forums - A Success Story? Time (and an upgrade to 67 markers!) Will Tell

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 01:22:44 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  A Success Story? Time (and an upgrade to 67 markers!) Will Tell
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Success Story? Time (and an upgrade to 67 markers!) Will Tell  (Read 7397 times)
Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »

It's in: the match holds up at 65/67.
I don't have time to say more right now, except WOW!
Congratulations!  Does this mean you are an ancient Briton?

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>S6365>L705.2(&CTS11744,CTS6621)
NealtheRed
Old Hand

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »

That's amazing! This is a DNA success story that we all dream about.

Y-DNA: R-Z255 (L159.2+) - Downing (Irish Sea)

MTDNA: HV4a1 - Centrella (Avellino, Italy)

Ysearch: 4PSCK

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »

Congratulations!  Does this mean you are an ancient Briton?

Looks like it.

Now I have to figure out if I really am a biological Beddoes or if he is a biological Stevens.

I emailed my match today when I got word, but I haven't heard from him yet. But he is waaay less interested in genetic genealogy than I am. Waaaaay less .  .  .
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:47:58 PM by rms2 » Logged

vtilroe
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »

Looks pretty tight, Rich!

Congratulations!

YSearch & MitoSearch: 2GXWW

yDNA: R-U106*

mtDNA: U5a1a1 (Genbank# GQ368895)

R-P312-WTY Project Admin http://tinyurl.com/daertg

jr9162

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »

Cool Rich. Hope you figure out the connection...

Y-DNA R-M222+
DYS 385a/b(K) 13-11
DYF 371X 10c-12t-14c
DYF 385 11
DYF 397 12-14-14
DYF 399X 25c-26.1t
DYF 401 16
DYF 408 188-8-15
DYF 411 11-11
DYS 413 21-23
DYS 464X 16g-17c
DYS 724 39
DYS 725 31-32

mtDNA U5b2
HVR1 16184T 16213A 16286T
HVR2 073G 150T 263G 315.1C
Jafety R1b-U152

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »

Wow, this whole story is so great! Congrats.

This encourage me to call on all "Feher"s and "Fejer"s in Hungary to test their Y. Of course first I have to make a homepage in Hungarian and explain why that makes sense...

I hope your "X"th cousin will contact you.

Y-DNA: R1b1b2a1b4 (S28/U-152) L2 test pending
Earliest known paternal ancestor: Matthias Fejer, b. 1819, Jaszarokszallas, Jasz county, Central Hungary
MtDNA: U4 (Western Siberian Ugric)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »

Wow, this whole story is so great! Congrats.

This encourage me to call on all "Feher"s and "Fejer"s in Hungary to test their Y. Of course first I have to make a homepage in Hungarian and explain why that makes sense...

I hope your "X"th cousin will contact you.

I've been in contact with him in the past. I just haven't heard from him lately, and he is slow to respond anyway. When he does respond, he's always been nice and pretty cooperative.

A Hungarian homepage sounds like a good idea to recruit your potential relatives.

Nolan Admin - Glenn Allen Nolen
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »

Nice match Richard!
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 07:35:01 PM »

Thanks, Glenn.

Jafety R1b-U152

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 02:33:01 AM »

Rich, may I translate your story and put it on my future "recrutation" website for "marketing" reasons?
I think it would help the "cause".

Y-DNA: R1b1b2a1b4 (S28/U-152) L2 test pending
Earliest known paternal ancestor: Matthias Fejer, b. 1819, Jaszarokszallas, Jasz county, Central Hungary
MtDNA: U4 (Western Siberian Ugric)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »

Rich, may I translate your story and put it on my future "recrutation" website for "marketing" reasons?
I think it would help the "cause".

Sure, although it is far from certain whether I am a biological Beddoes or he is a biological Stevens.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »

This is a very old thread, as anyone who checks the date of the last post above can tell. My original 65/67 match with Mr. Beddoes never produced much. He is an elderly man (if he is still with us) and wasn't interested in pursuing the possibilities.

The reason I am resurrecting this thread is because this morning I discovered a brand new 36/37 match with another Beddoes, this time one who doesn't list himself as "private". At 37 markers, my original Beddoes match was also 36/37, so I suspect this one could be a son or other close family member of the original.

I sent him an email. We'll see if he responds.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »

This is a very old thread, as anyone who checks the date of the last post above can tell. My original 65/67 match with Mr. Beddoes never produced much. He is an elderly man (if he is still with us) and wasn't interested in pursuing the possibilities.

The reason I am resurrecting this thread is because this morning I discovered a brand new 36/37 match with another Beddoes, this time one who doesn't list himself as "private". At 37 markers, my original Beddoes match was also 36/37, so I suspect this one could be a son or other close family member of the original.

Re the original Beddoes match, I even joined the Beddows/Beddoes DNA Project, which is so super top secret that only its admin can see the results. I found out by word of mouth (well, word of email) that my Mr. Beddoes does not match anyone else in his surname project. As time has gone on, however, he has come to match an ever-growing list of us Stevens/Stephens. This new Beddoes could be his first same-surname match, but I suspect this is his son or some similarly close family member.

I eventually quit the Beddows/Beddoes DNA Project: belonging to it was a complete waste of time, since only its admin could see the y-dna results. It's amazing to me that people would belong to such a project and put up with a state of affairs like that.

Anyway, I'm hoping this Mr. Beddoes is sufficiently interested in the truth of his heritage to pursue the possible connection.

Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »

Re the original Beddoes match, I even joined the Beddows/Beddoes DNA Project, which is so super top secret that only its admin can see the results. I found out by word of mouth (well, word of email) that my Mr. Beddoes does not match anyone else in his surname project. As time has gone on, however, he has come to match an ever-growing list of us Stevens/Stephens. This new Beddoes could be his first same-surname match, but I suspect this is his son or some similarly close family member.

I eventually quit the Beddows/Beddoes DNA Project: belonging to it was a complete waste of time, since only its admin could see the y-dna results. It's amazing to me that people would belong to such a project and put up with a state of affairs like that.

Anyway, I'm hoping this Mr. Beddoes is sufficiently interested in the truth of his heritage to pursue the possible connection.

Fingers crossed, matches that aren't interested are a tad frustrating !!

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »

The Welsh or Welsh border/Shropshire evidence seems to be mounting. I've got Samuel and Price in my haplotype cluster. Both of them are Welsh and have tested DF41+ now, and there's Beddoes, who has a Welsh surname (but who may be a biological Stevens/Stephens). Webb, as you mentioned before, is a surname common in Shropshire. My closest Webb match is 63/67 and has tested DF41+.

Samuel has ordered an upgrade from 12 to 67 markers. It will be interesting to see how our match holds up.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:29:57 AM by rms2 » Logged

Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2012, 04:18:39 PM »

The Welsh or Welsh border/Shropshire evidence seems to be mounting. I've got Samuel and Price in my haplotype cluster. Both of them are Welsh and have tested DF41+ now, and there's Beddoes, who has a Welsh surname (but who may be a biological Stevens/Stephens). Webb, as you mentioned before, is a surname common in Shropshire. My closest Webb match is 63/67 and has tested DF41+.

Samuel has ordered an upgrade from 12 to 67 markers. It will interesting to see how our match holds up.

Cool, you can't get much better than Welsh matches ;)

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »

Samuel has ordered an upgrade from 12 to 67 markers. It will interesting to see how our match holds up.

Cool, you can't get much better than Welsh matches ;)

I agree. It's pretty exciting for me, since I don't know who my immigrant y-dna ancestor was or where he came from.

gtc
Old Hand

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 05:17:58 AM »

I even joined the Beddows/Beddoes DNA Project, which is so super top secret that only its admin can see the results.

What a joke! I've never heard of such a thing and I believe that FTDNA would consider that contrary to the reason that they host surname projects (free of charge) in the first place.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:20:38 AM by gtc » Logged

Y-DNA: R1b-Z12* (R1b1a2a1a1a3b2b1a1a1) GGG-GF Ireland (roots reportedly Anglo-Norman)
mtDNA: I3b (FMS) Maternal lines Irish
Mike Forsythe

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 06:22:28 AM »

@ Rich
Here is a interesting link to a site by Tyrone Bowes, who was a speaker at the Houston conference. Your search seems to be narrowing down to a similar approach that is used by Mr. Bowes.
 http://www.irishorigenes.com/
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 09:04:12 AM »

I even joined the Beddows/Beddoes DNA Project, which is so super top secret that only its admin can see the results.

What a joke! I've never heard of such a thing and I believe that FTDNA would consider that contrary to the reason that they host surname projects (free of charge) in the first place.

I agree. I even wrote Mr. Greenspan about it and complained, but apparently FTDNA regards its projects as virtually the personal property of the admins. I guess that might be a necessity unless they want to take over and start managing them themselves. Still, you would think they would step in and do something about such outrageous and extreme examples of mismanagement and selfishness.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »

@ Rich
Here is a interesting link to a site by Tyrone Bowes, who was a speaker at the Houston conference. Your search seems to be narrowing down to a similar approach that is used by Mr. Bowes.

I like the YouTube tutorial video. That is pretty much what I have been trying to do over the years. Of course, I didn't know anyone had formalized the method, and I haven't gone as far as to try to pinpoint my matches' surnames in census records from the British Isles.

Part of my problem is that most of my matches, especially the closest ones, don't know where their immigrant y-dna ancestor came from either.

Thanks for that, though. It is pretty cool.

I haven't heard from this latest Beddoes match, by the way. That's not a good sign. Usually the enthusiastic guys respond pretty quickly.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:30 AM »

@ Rich

I like the YouTube tutorial video. That is pretty much what I have been trying to do over the years. Of course, I didn't know anyone had formalized the method, and I haven't gone as far as to try to pinpoint my matches' surnames in census records from the British Isles.

Part of my problem is that most of my matches, especially the closest ones, don't know where their immigrant y-dna ancestor came from either.

Thanks for that, though. It is pretty cool.

I haven't heard from this latest Beddoes match, by the way. That's not a good sign. Usually the enthusiastic guys respond pretty quickly.

I do have one critique of Dr. Bowes' methodology. He uses 37-marker matches in his work. That, I think, is a major flaw, absent SNP testing or restricting matches to a gd of perhaps 1 or, at the most, 2. It is possible to have a 37-marker "match" with someone who does not even belong to your haplogroup or subclade.

In my case, my 390=23 and 447=24 make me prone to 37-marker "matches" with guys who are actually U106+ (and usually L48+). When they go out to 67 markers, I can see their telltale 492=13 (I have 492=12) and eliminate them from my list.

Otherwise, I like Dr. Bowes' system.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:20:47 AM by rms2 » Logged

Mike Forsythe

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 11:36:32 AM »

I think I read in his article that 12 and 25 markers are used as well. Also, I might have missed it, but I don' see much about haplogroups.
Of course, his research is mostly based in a small area where the same families have lived for hundreds of years, and are most likely L21+ of some sort.
Arwunbee

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

It would be handy if FTDNA gave the user the option of overriding the project admin, thus allowing their haplotype info to appear on the standard ftdna hosted results page

Map of L44 subclade (of U106): http://g.co/maps/9xswy
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »

It would be handy if FTDNA gave the user the option of overriding the project admin, thus allowing their haplotype info to appear on the standard ftdna hosted results page

I'm not sure how that would work, but if enough members of that project were upset about the situation, I'm sure it would change. Apparently they don't care all that much and were recruited by the project admin mainly because he was interested. So it truly is his personal project. I was probably the first (and only) person ever to complain about it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:23:13 PM by rms2 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 19 queries.