World Families Forums - separating the dob*****

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:12:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'D'
| | |-+  Dobbins (Moderator: dobbinsAdmin)
| | | |-+  separating the dob*****
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: separating the dob*****  (Read 1232 times)
galah3

« on: March 08, 2009, 01:57:56 AM »

Obviously none of the folk submitted so far are related

The Dobkins and Dobbs Dobbins are in separate haplotypes with completely different ancestries  which confirms what most must have suspected

Should people with unknown ancestor be in the dobbins list? or what is the reasoning behind placing them in the dobbins.

cheers,
brian quinn
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:18:47 AM »

Hi Brian.  If the similiar, but differently surnamed, families had each been in a separate project for only their own spelling, you wouldn't know if they were genetically related or not.  By clumping similar surnames, we have a better chance of finding the names that do share genetic ancestry.

Typically, people with "unknown" ancestry fall into one of four groups:

1. Folks who haven't figured out how to provide their ancestry, or who are too lazy or too selfish to provide their info

2. Folks who don't know their ancestry (such as adoptees) who think this may be their surname

3. Folks who have provided their ancestry, but for some reason - it hasn't yet been connected to their dna results.

Having family researchers involved with a surname study is a big benefit to the surname, participation and quality of the data.  The Dob*** project is being served by WorldFamilies as an interim administrator.  If you - or anyone else - knows of a person who can help lead the Dob***'s surname project, we can help that person(s) learn the ropes.

Terry
galah3

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:18:17 AM »

Well it has been a while since I looked at the Dobbin etc ydna. I am impressd there are quite a few now.

Some observations: the C3 member is fasinating possibly his ancestor is an Apache or Navajo man. At least from the Na Dene language group.

I2b1 may well be related to Magennis and Macartan/McCartney if Irish otherwise a range of North Britons i.e. Scots and English

116959 and 87844 are related and likely are of the Niall group, which does not mean descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages (likely colonies rather than hostages) just you share a common ancestor with the Niall group. The group is also called M222+ a strictly Northern Irish and Lowland Scottish mutation. Personally I think from Galloway.

116956 may also be M222+

and the other R1b1a2 maybe also be M222+. Should all get tested for it.

I suspect most male Dobbin either Lowland Scot or Northern Irish native and not descended from a Norman Knight. Perhaps especially Northern Irish ones from Carrickfergus etc. I wonder if the Waterford Dobyn are different. 

It is possible the R1a1a is from the Vikings  like the MacDonald clan chiefs but would have to check the numbers more closely. He is a possible Sir Reginald's descendant especially if he matches the Dobyn from Waterford.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 18 queries.