World Families Forums - New X Genome Map at FTDNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 09:53:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  X-chromosome (X DNA) (Moderator: Seán MacGorman Powell)
| | |-+  New X Genome Map at FTDNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New X Genome Map at FTDNA  (Read 1666 times)
geneticgenie

« on: February 19, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »

Thomas Krahn put together this map of updated STR locations along with SNPs and genes at:

http://xmap.ftdna.com/

Thank you Thomas and FTDNA.

Kathy J.

Kathy J.
X Chromosomes: 75% English, 12.5% German, 6.25% Dutch, 3.125% Irish, 3.125% Scottish;
from Father's X: 43.75% English, 6.25% Dutch;
from Mother's X: 31.25% English, 12.5% German, 3.125% Irish, 3.125% Scottish
Seán MacGorman Powell
X-chromosome Project Administrator
Board Moderator
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »

Thomas Krahn put together this map of updated STR locations along with SNPs and genes at:

http://xmap.ftdna.com/

Thank you Thomas and FTDNA.

Kathy J.

Thanks for posting that, Kathy, and thanks to Thomas!

I've made the changes that Thomas posted at Xmatch, in the header row of the project's X-STR results chart:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/geo/xdna/pats/raw

a.k.a., GhostX
Reiverroots

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:08:06 PM »

Hi,
I hope you don't mind me asking (I'm fascinated by all the X projects) but what can we learn from this xmap? Do we put our data in and it shows where we fit on a world map of other contributers?
Thanks.
geneticgenie

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:49:55 AM »

Hi,
I hope you don't mind me asking (I'm fascinated by all the X projects) but what can we learn from this xmap? Do we put our data in and it shows where we fit on a world map of other contributers?
Thanks.
Right now the X chromosome browser just tells us where the SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms) are in relation to the STRs (short tandem repeats).  It also gives us an idea where the genes are located.  We are trying to stay away from genes in our study group here. We are also trying to find intergenic areas that do not crossover very often that are also full of STRs. Unfortunately some of the intergenic areas have no primers that we can order for STRs.  Maybe these areas are not very interesting to the university researchers nor lucrative to the primer producers.  I think we are dealing with uncharted territory and a browser will help us once it has been populated with relevant information. We need somebody to look for lots of STRs where we want these to be located and to come up with a series of primers that are inexpensive.  Fat chance.  We also need a real “x”pert to help us out here.  But having a few tools gives us a start anyway. Maybe it will inspire someone to seek a grant to study our haplotypes in search of interesting subclades within our haplogroups.

Kathy

Kathy J.
X Chromosomes: 75% English, 12.5% German, 6.25% Dutch, 3.125% Irish, 3.125% Scottish;
from Father's X: 43.75% English, 6.25% Dutch;
from Mother's X: 31.25% English, 12.5% German, 3.125% Irish, 3.125% Scottish
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.