World Families Forums - 23andme X-Chromosome file

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 02:16:03 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  X-chromosome (X DNA) (Moderator: Seán MacGorman Powell)
| | |-+  23andme X-Chromosome file
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 23andme X-Chromosome file  (Read 5307 times)
Bennymosh

« on: January 22, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »

This will be the thread that I post updates to the X-File on. For those of you who don't know, I keep a spreadsheet of X-Chromosome results from 23and me that people can download and play with. Sean put the details in an earlier post.
Sean, Thank you for updating a "blurb" for my file, I couldn't of put it better as far as a disclaimer.
Maybe I can figure out a signiature on here like I have at the other joint so when I post updates the link is always there.
By the way, the file has been updated today. ID028 has been fixed, and we have a new entry that is a male with all X ancestry hailing From Alsace.
Thanks everybody!
Ben
Seán MacGorman Powell
X-chromosome Project Administrator
Board Moderator
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:03:48 PM »

This will be the thread that I post updates to the X-File on. For those of you who don't know, I keep a spreadsheet of X-Chromosome results from 23and me that people can download and play with. Sean put the details in an earlier post.
Sean, Thank you for updating a "blurb" for my file, I couldn't of put it better as far as a disclaimer.
Maybe I can figure out a signiature on here like I have at the other joint so when I post updates the link is always there.
By the way, the file has been updated today. ID028 has been fixed, and we have a new entry that is a male with all X ancestry hailing From Alsace.
Thanks everybody!
Ben

Thanks for starting this thread, Ben, and even more thanks for maintaining that highly-useful spreadsheet.  A lot of interesting discoveries are coming from it, and I encourage people to contribute.

As for your signature... if you click on the "profile" button on the top navigation bar (you have to be logged in to see it), and then click on "Forum Profile Information," you'll see a place where you can add your signature.  I have no idea if a hyperlink can be included in a sig, as I haven't tried adding any HTML tags to mine.  You might just have to spell out the URLs as plain text.

a.k.a., GhostX
JimT

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »

Thanks for the update!

X chromosome 100% Halländsk (Danish before 1645; Swedish after 1645)
Bennymosh

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:02:48 PM »

ID027 has now been fixed on the X-File. The sheet should be good to go now.
Thanks,
Ben
Bennymosh

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »

The X-File has been updated today with 1 new male contributor, ID033.
Thank you everybody.
Ben
Bennymosh

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »

There has been an update to the X-file today.
Thank you everybody.
Ben
Bennymosh

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »

The ol' X-File has a new participant, so it has been updated today!
Bennymosh

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »

We have another update today folks!!!! we are up to 36 people on the x-file now!
Ben
Bennymosh

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 08:22:24 AM »

There has been an update today to the X-File.
Thank you to the two gentlemen who contributed!
Ben
Maria_W

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:07 PM »

Sent my sample out to 23andme last week.  Will be up to 12 weeks for results.  I am sure someone can help me when they come in.....I truely do not understand this haploblock issue... Help! 

Maria

DeCodeMe: Autosomal: African 2%, Asian 6%,  European 92%.  X: African 4%, Asian 9%, European 87%.
23andme: pending.
United States (Native American: Potowomecke from Virginia and European(Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Germany, Switzerland and France)
Seán MacGorman Powell
Board Moderator
Old Hand

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:40:31 PM »

Sent my sample out to 23andme last week.  Will be up to 12 weeks for results.  I am sure someone can help me when they come in.....I truely do not understand this haploblock issue... Help! 

Maria

I know that several of us here would be happy to help you when your results come in, Maria--I certainly will!  Don't worry at all about the complexities of the haploblocks issues (unless you really want to know).  Most of the details that people discuss here are things that aren't especially important to non-scientists, and there are all sorts of things to be appreciated at more basic levels.

Good for you for ordering a test, and we look forward to having you join the "club!"

Sean

a.k.a., GhostX
Bennymosh

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »

There has been a new update to the X-file today.
Thank you (anonymous) for contributing!
Ben
Eldon

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 11:06:08 AM »

Thanks everybody!
Ben

Ben,
Where can I find the file? 
Thanks,
Eldon

Eldon
Y-DNA:  R1b1a2a1a1a4b1 (R1b-L148).
mtDNA:  H5a1
Bennymosh

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »

Eldon,
This link should provide all the info and links.
Thanks,
Ben

http://www.worldfamilies.net/forum/index.php?topic=8438.0
Bennymosh

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »

There has been and update today, we now have 40 participants in our database. I will be unable to do updates for a couple of weeks but all are welcome to send the data anyway, I will add them when I am able to when I return home.
Thank you everybody.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:12:02 PM by Bennymosh » Logged
Maria_W

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 11:27:40 PM »

Something amazing happened.  My 23andme test results came in... They received my sample at the lab Feb 26, 2008 and results came in Thursday night...This is 15 days.  I read people were waiting 11 weeks for results... I feel really bad for those people!
My ancestry paiting is 100% European...Someone else who has Native heritage also received 100% European...So Im not alone. My understanding of the test is  that this autosomal dna test doesn't count the last 500 years heritage... The last 500 years is  where my Potowomeke heritage comes in.  They are picking up my German, English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, French and Swiss.  So Decodeme and 23andme are so cool.. Nothings changed for me...So I have European and Native American heritage , I don't see where it has to be either or!  What would you be extracting from my test results? Help!

Maria

DeCodeMe: Autosomal: African 2%, Asian 6%,  European 92%.  X: African 4%, Asian 9%, European 87%.
23andme: pending.
United States (Native American: Potowomecke from Virginia and European(Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Germany, Switzerland and France)
Seán MacGorman Powell
Board Moderator
Old Hand

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 11:05:24 AM »

Something amazing happened.  My 23andme test results came in... They received my sample at the lab Feb 26, 2008 and results came in Thursday night...This is 15 days.  I read people were waiting 11 weeks for results... I feel really bad for those people!
My ancestry paiting is 100% European...Someone else who has Native heritage also received 100% European...So Im not alone. My understanding of the test is  that this autosomal dna test doesn't count the last 500 years heritage... The last 500 years is  where my Potowomeke heritage comes in.  They are picking up my German, English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, French and Swiss.  So Decodeme and 23andme are so cool.. Nothings changed for me...So I have European and Native American heritage , I don't see where it has to be either or!  What would you be extracting from my test results? Help!

Maria

Hey, Maria, congratulations on getting your results so quickly!  I'd sure be interested in hearing 23andMe's explanation for how some people's tests can come back so quickly, when they've been projecting 10-12 weeks lately for everybody (I'm at almost 9 weeks myself waiting on my father's results).  Perhaps you could post a comment about it on the Product Discussion board on 23andMe's community forum (if you haven't already) and see if they can shed some light on this issue.  It almost seems as if your sample completely bypassed the big backlog and went right to the front of the line.  I wonder if later samples started going to a different lab.  Anyway, that's a good sign that things might be speeding up.

Anyway, when you said that the 23andMe test doesn't count the last 500 years, you actually had that backwards.  It actually puts greater emphasis on the past several generations.  The farther back in time your target ancestor lived, the less likely that his/her DNA will show up in your ancestry painting diagram.  I've seen some simulation results that show that for a person who had an Amerind ancestor who lived 10 generations ago, there's an 81% chance that he wouldn't show up at all as any orange blocks on your ancestry painting.  That percentage increases the farther back the ancestor lived, until eventually there's virtually no chance that (s)he would show up.

As for what we would be extracting from your test results, I can show you that more succinctly than I can explain it, if you look at the project's X-SNP results chart:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/geo/xdna/results?raw=1

You would be a new column in that chart if you decided to submit your data.  This chart isn't really designed to be something that will be of immediate use to the casual genealogist for researching their family histories--it's more of a tool for researchers to help learn what we can about X-chromosome inheritance patterns (it's a rather young science at present).  Nonetheless, a lot of people find it interesting to see how their data matches up with people from various ethnicities.

Here's a post that discusses the data submission procedures:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/forum/index.php?topic=8438.0

Let us know if you have any questions, and welcome the club!

Sean

a.k.a., GhostX
Bennymosh

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 10:06:43 AM »

I have updated the X-File today.
There are 5 new entries in the database.
Thank you all for contributing.
Ben
Bennymosh

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »

there has been an update to the X-file today.
Thanks to all for contributing.
Bennymosh

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »

The X-file has been updated today, with four new contributors.
Ben
Bennymosh

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »

There has been a update to the X-File today.
Ben
Bennymosh

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »

There has been  an update today. Thanks everybody.
Ben
Bennymosh

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »

There is an update today to the X-File.
Ben
Bennymosh

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 08:45:24 PM »

Hello Boys and Girls,
I am happy to inform you that there is an update to the X-File today.
Hip Hip Hooray!
Ben
(trying to post something different for a change)
Bennymosh

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 07:17:50 PM »

There has been an update today.
Ben
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 19 queries.