World Families Forums - Faux (Fox) surname connection!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 04:01:14 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Faux (Fox) surname connection!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faux (Fox) surname connection!  (Read 1781 times)
Nolan Admin - Glenn Allen Nolen
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« on: January 04, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »

Fox FamilyTreeDNA Project Website

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/FoxDNA/default.aspx

"Another British Fox has been found by EthnoAncestry to be a member of Haplogroup R1b1c10 (S28+.) He is a member of an STR haplotype cluster that includes an S28+ Faux but the connection would probably be before the adoption of surnames."
vtilroe
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »

Meaningless idle speculation:

I had an ancestor with surname "de Vos", which is/was fairly common in Zeeland and Flanders.  de Vos, of course, is dutch for "the Fox".  I had come across a french name "Deveau", (one of my exact 12-marker matches, incidentally) which may be a phonic variation of deVos, but I don't know if it can be substantiated.

YSearch & MitoSearch: 2GXWW

yDNA: R-U106*

mtDNA: U5a1a1 (Genbank# GQ368895)

R-P312-WTY Project Admin http://tinyurl.com/daertg

Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:31:41 AM »

This post has nothing to do with the Fox vs. Faux or anything like that, but..

I knew I was going to love it when Anatole K and David F started trading arguments on Rootsweb.  David didn't have much of a chance. I don't always get everything Anatole tries to say but his sharpness can be handy.

LOL

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>S6365>L705.2(&CTS11744,CTS6621)
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:52:44 PM »

It was entertaining.

"Love it or leave it"

Great stuff!
bart otoole

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »

it has been humorous.

do they like each other or this actual rivalry?

yDNA L21+ null 425

mtDNA T2e

Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:18 PM »

I don't take the man in the subject of this thread seriously. I doubt if Anatole does either.
GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »

I knew I was going to love it when Anatole K and David F started trading arguments on Rootsweb.  David didn't have much of a chance. I don't always get everything Anatole tries to say but his sharpness can be handy.

LOL

Could someone kindly supply a link to the Faux/Anatole exchanges?
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2010-01/1264073611

"For the record, I repeat: I could not care less.

Best regards,

Anatole Klyosov"

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2010-01/1264044098

"What population geneticists publish regarding TMRCA estimations is a shame. It is a tragedy for DNA genealogy. It is a shame when someone like Cruciani after he and his team do a beautiful work in collecting data and discovering new SNPs, etc., ruin a huge share of their work with absolutely wrong calculations and interpretations of time spans to common ancestors of the populations considered. It is a shame when Underhill, Zhivotovsky, and 27 of their co-authors published a trash regarding R1a1 of some "8,000 years back", when in fact it was 2500 ybp. They have distorted the whole historical perspective regarding those times. It is shame when Hammer, Behar, Skorecki, and Zhivotovsky published a gibberish regarding Cohens, completely distorting their history. It is a real tragedy for the current academic science in the field of DNA genealogy, or, as they prefer to call it, population genetics."

Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »

Since this thread popped back up a year later, I might as well make the comment that others have also suggested different sources of this surname to the man in question in the subject of this thread.

DNA Forums

Danelaw u-152

Goldenhind

30 June 2009

As I pointed out to Dr. Faux some time ago, Faux (which appears in numerous variants) is not a Danish name, but rather comes from the Old French personal name Fauque(s). Introduced to England by the Normans, it is actually of Frankish origin. From the Oxford Dictionary of English Surnames.
vineviz
Old Hand

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »

I don't take the man in the subject of this thread seriously. I doubt if Anatole does either.
Neither man is to be taken seriously.
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »

Then we all agree Ken is the genius among us. I can work with that.
Norwich

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 02:03:18 AM »

LOL
Do tell.  Well it seems that DF has probably sat watching on the sidelines since Anatole (actually his arguments) have been shot down in flames by a growing list of doubters.  It is rather sad to see lengthy rambling defensive barbed tomes sent towards an increasingly unconvinced readership where even Ken is on the receiving end.  A bit of a freeforall now - I guess.  BTW, what pray tell does this have to do with the price of tea in China - the topic under consideration?
Norwich

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 02:06:49 AM »

Neither man is to be taken seriously.
What do you mean VV, have you had a falling out with Anatole?  So now Faux and Klyosov are on your list of those whose ideas can be written off without futher consideration.
Norwich

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 02:14:08 AM »

Since this thread popped back up a year later, I might as well make the comment that others have also suggested different sources of this surname to the man in question in the subject of this thread.

DNA Forums

Danelaw u-152

Goldenhind

30 June 2009

As I pointed out to Dr. Faux some time ago, Faux (which appears in numerous variants) is not a Danish name, but rather comes from the Old French personal name Fauque(s). Introduced to England by the Normans, it is actually of Frankish origin. From the Oxford Dictionary of English Surnames.

The surname was Falke until about 1540 when in the Manorial Records of Mundford it morphed to Falkes, Faulkes, Forks, and Faux.  Falc first appears on a rune stone inscription from Sweden circa 800 AD listing Falc as one of five kings of Denmark.  It is a Germanic name meaning falcon.  The source could have been from Denmark directly prior to 1066, or come up with the Franco-Dane Normans as Faulkes - a name that became fashionable as a font name in Normandy at the time.  One needs to go beyond dictionaries to find the full story.
Norwich

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 02:20:56 AM »

Fox FamilyTreeDNA Project Website

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/FoxDNA/default.aspx

"Another British Fox has been found by EthnoAncestry to be a member of Haplogroup R1b1c10 (S28+.) He is a member of an STR haplotype cluster that includes an S28+ Faux but the connection would probably be before the adoption of surnames."
Both are L20 and from East Anglia.  Since Faux "matches" his second and third cousins 33/37 and 34/37 respectively, if perchance this mutation rate extended back a few hundred years more Fox and Faux could well have had a MRCA in East Anglia since the adoption of surnames.  Not entirely likely but certainly possible considering that many Faux became Fox since Forkes (the way the surname is pronounced in Norfolk) is quite close to Fox if one is not familiar with the East Anglian dialect.
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »

“A bit of a freeforall now - I guess.”

Wow, I guess Ken got suspended from Genealogy-DNA-L-Archives and now we went back to the days of the Wild Wild West within 24 hours. I thought Anatole’s dissing of a reviewer at the JOGG was hilarious. As far as I am concerned, the past editor didn’t have a clue.
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »

Correction:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2010-02/1265737739

“It was not a reviewer of the paper.”

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 08:23:28 PM »

You know, I don't think this thread was ever such a good idea, which is one reason I never involved myself in it. Who here is discussing the topic because of a familial connection to the surnames in the title?

If the point is to run down or ridicule a particular man's conclusions about his own family tree, then I think it best to close this thread right now.

Sorry if that makes anyone unhappy, but given the current climate of personal attacks on the various dna fora, I think it's for the best.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:27:46 PM by rms2 » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 19 queries.