World Families Forums - Welcome to the R1b and Subclades Subforum!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 05:48:05 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Welcome to the R1b and Subclades Subforum!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome to the R1b and Subclades Subforum!  (Read 22755 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:57 AM »

First off, take a look at the International Society of Genetic Genealogy (ISOGG) R Tree page. It has some informative stuff at the bottom of the page, including a handy list of references.

You should also join the HT35 Project if you haven't already:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/ht35new/default.aspx

Another excellent reference is Jean Manco's The Peopling of Europe.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:31:16 AM by rms2 » Logged

Tisy

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2010, 07:04:28 AM »

Hi,

We have tested R1b, M343 (Subclade R1b1b2a1b4c1, L20).  Any comments from the experts?  I see no other L20's on the forum as yet.

Any info or theories on our origins would be good.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »

Hi,

We have tested R1b, M343 (Subclade R1b1b2a1b4c1, L20).  Any comments from the experts?  I see no other L20's on the forum as yet.

Any info or theories on our origins would be good.

You can check out David Faux's U152 database:

http://www.davidkfaux.org/R1b1c10_Data.htm

Some of his ideas are pretty controversial, but you'll get around to finding them eventually anyway.

FTDNA also has the R1b-U152 Project:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b-U152/default.aspx

Tisy

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2010, 01:27:34 AM »

Hi,

I have already been in touch with David Faux and we are included in Steve Gilbert's research as well - under "Kingdom of Mercia Division A Cluster";  I had gathered that both of these researchers may be in the "controversial" basket at the moment - will watch with interest.

Interestingly, all of the people we have had matches with have ancestors from what can be called the "Kingdom fo Mercia" - Cheshire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

Tisy
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2010, 07:45:49 AM »

Hi,

I have already been in touch with David Faux and we are included in Steve Gilbert's research as well - under "Kingdom of Mercia Division A Cluster";  I had gathered that both of these researchers may be in the "controversial" basket at the moment - will watch with interest.

Interestingly, all of the people we have had matches with have ancestors from what can be called the "Kingdom fo Mercia" - Cheshire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

Tisy

Does Steve Gilbert have a web site?

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2010, 10:54:11 AM »

Anyone else notice that the R1b1b2 subforum has over ten times the posts of the next most popular subforum here at World Families?

Tisy

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 06:49:05 AM »

Hi,

Here is Steve Gilbert's site -

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=105195078464874448682.000478e5a8ff62f591caa&ll=51.041394,-3.295898&spn=16.830215,46.362305&t=h&z=5

Cheers,

Tisy
pocket33

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2010, 06:31:40 PM »

Welcome!

This forum is a place to discuss R1b1b2 and all its subclades. Please feel free to post here.

thanks!
javascript:swapOptions();
I  have never been able to make contact with anyone with whom I have a match. The ones I have sent messages to will not answer. What am I doing wrong?
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »

Welcome!

This forum is a place to discuss R1b1b2 and all its subclades. Please feel free to post here.

thanks!
javascript:swapOptions();
I  have never been able to make contact with anyone with whom I have a match. The ones I have sent messages to will not answer. What am I doing wrong?

I've had mixed reactions myself. I am an admin on my surname project and normally have reasonably good successes contacting matches for people inside my project, but when I try contacting matches for myself I normally luck out. Could be bad luck or possibly an undertone of excitement which may sneak out of my emails which puts people off.

A point well worth considering though is exactly how close are these matches you are trying to contact. If you have only tested to 12 or 25 and are R1b1b2 then the chances of matches outside your surname being germane (edit: in a genealogical time frame) are slime, even at 37 matches can slip away to nothing when tested further.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:46:26 PM by Jdean » Logged

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 06:31:13 PM »

It's been a boring week on the dna front, as far as I'm concerned: very few Deep Clade-R results, and only two L21+ results.

That is one of the most frustrating aspects of this hobby: the wait time for results. I get all fired up when I recruit someone to test, but then my fire cools after a month or two of waiting for results.

When the result you've been waiting for turns out to be negative, oh, man! That is a bummer! All that waiting and watching only to get the dreaded minus sign! Aaarrrggghhh!

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 06:33:04 PM »

Wish more R1b1b2 guys would just order the Deep Clade-R test on their own.

That would certainly help.

Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »

Wish more R1b1b2 guys would just order the Deep Clade-R test on their own.
That would certainly help.
Agreed, and I'll add to that "join the correct haplogroup projects once the results are in."
I keep finding L21 people in various places.

Unfortunately, even though FTDNA does do some intelligent matching as far as showing project to join, it's just too complex, particularly for the newbie.

This is just a wish list item, but FTDNA needs to develop a new kind of "super" project where people are automatically places in the right sub-projects based on their latest deep SNP testing and were they can still "roll up" into the big "super" project R1b view.  That way people can just join one haplogroup project and the rest is automatic.   The sub-project admins have access to display their "window" into the haplogroup in ways they want to... which by the way should be multi-dimensional (by geography but also by geography/surname heritage and also by new sub-clade and probably also by cluster.)

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>L705.2
Kiwi

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »

Tested the 67 markers with FTDNA, have 20 exact matches on 12 markers, 15 on 25 with a diffrence of 2, is that good or not so good, none of them are the same surname? They come up with the predicted R1b1b2 (m269)
What will the deep subclade test add to my knowledge?
My Paternal paper trail only goes back as far as about 1805 in London.
Colin

Colin
GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »

Matches below 37 markers don't mean much unless you have a very rare haplotype, and you obviously don't (from the number of matches at 12 markers). Presumably you are fairly close to the WAMH.

How many matches, and at what distance, do you have at 37 and 67 markers?

It would be helpful if you posted your results on ysearch and listed your ysearch ID here.

A deep clade test isn't likely to be very helpful for genealogical purposes. However if you are interested in deep ancestry- long before the adoption of surnames- it can be very interesting. M269 is found throughout Europe, but some of its subclades have a much more limited distribution. However, despite the desires of many, there are as yet no easy answers, so don't expect the deep clade test to establish whether your ancestors were Celts, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings etc.- though it might indicate some probablilites.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:55:43 PM by GoldenHind » Logged
Kiwi

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »

This was what i had on Ysearch
BXM8M was from the FTDNA
RPG63 from Ancestry.com

Colin
Kiwi

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »

They dont seem to match up very closely there
Having read some of discussions on here, got some serious reading to catch up on, this caught my eye
A5VCV   Ht35_A2_Modal_VerySlow_80m
only 9 matches out of 67, but is that person doing a search for only those with ht35?
and if so what if anything does it mean to me?
also sorry to ask what are probably very basic questions
there are a lot of those that match exactly to the 11 and 12 first markers listed, so how far back are we likely to have a MCRA, and are they likely to ba closer match than say some one testing same number of markers over a different spread?

Colin
GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2010, 09:20:54 PM »

This was what i had on Ysearch
BXM8M was from the FTDNA
RPG63 from Ancestry.com
Sorry, but I'm afraid you have me a bit confused. Are these both your results, or just your closest matches? If the former, something is wrong, as there are differences at three markers. Perhaps that is due to different lab standards used by FTDNA and Ancestry. If that is the cae, you should combine the two into a single entry using FTDNA standards.

Ht35 is a term used for the type of R1b-M269 that is found primarily in western Europe, and the term probably causes more confusion than it helps. It is thought to have arisen several thousand years ago.

As I said, matches outside your surname at 11/12 or even 12/12 may not mean much if your haplotype is near the Western Altantic Modal, which yours presumably is. Due to the process called conversion, people's haplotypes may tend to "converge" due to mutations over the centuries and suggest a relationship closer than is actually the case. I suggest you stick with reasonably close matches at a minmum of 37 markers, and even these can be somewhat misleading in terms of TMRCA. Rich has reported fairly close matches at 67 markers who turn out to be in different R1b subclades, meaning their most recent common ancestor lived thousands of years ago. I should make it clear I am speaking here of matches with a different surname. Matches with the same surname are a different matter entirely.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:25:12 PM by GoldenHind » Logged
Carolyn Burke Bigler Hebert

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »

I borrowed my brother's DNA for the paternal testing of our biological father's side of our family. His results were R1b1b2 - (M269). The company FT DNA in Houston is wanting me to upgrade for further testing. They had a special on right now until Dec 1st. What will this actually net me? From what I have Googled, this is primarily Ireland. I'd like to get past Simon Bourg in France but there are no hard copy records of his parents. If I can locate ancestors in Europe that might help connect the ancestors in France to the ancestors in America that would be great. Will further testing help? I have already Googled and used some genealogy websites from Europe. I am in the dark where DNA testing is concerned.
I did the maternal test for myself and my DNA is U5, the oldest known to mankind and still be living. But my maternal tree came back around to the wife of Simon Bourg. Interesting huh?
Oh, our mother remarried and her new husband adopted us.
Tell me more about this R1b1b2 please. How will further testing help my brother and me to know more about our point of origin?
Thanks.
pockett33

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2011, 05:41:25 PM »

I would like to add my STEWART family to this subforum. My pedigree is posted and my farthest ancestor is William Stewart born in Ireland 17 March 1795. The latest is my cousin Glenn Stewart born 1955 in Harrodsburg, Mercer County, Kentucky. I am doing this search using Glenn as he is a direct male descendant of our common ancestor. I am not. Therefore, contact me.

Dr.Jack Nelson
pegoty@insightbb.com
Lexington, KY  40502.

Jack Nelson

thelionkinglivesdoomsday_88@yahoo.com

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2011, 02:58:53 PM »

Hey, I hope thee is someone still posting here. this is the first time I have posted anything here so I hope I don't unintentionally break some sort of Etiquet (spell?)

My surname is Rodgers, I am 35 living in Illinois. I was born in Florida. My father, who I didn't know was JL Rodgers from Leechville Ark. Born 1925- died 1990. He served in WWII and Korea. I know I had a brother David that died in Anaheim, CA in 1997 at 42.
I believe I am more than likely of scottish decent. I also have green eyes.

I don't know if that amounts to anything but anyway some insight from others on the my poss. lineage would be appreciated.

Being the bastard son of a soldier I have pretty thick skin and I just want truth
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:59:45 PM by thelionkinglivesdoomsday_88@yahoo.com » Logged
GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »

Hey, I hope thee is someone still posting here. this is the first time I have posted anything here so I hope I don't unintentionally break some sort of Etiquet (spell?)

My surname is Rodgers, I am 35 living in Illinois. I was born in Florida. My father, who I didn't know was JL Rodgers from Leechville Ark. Born 1925- died 1990. He served in WWII and Korea. I know I had a brother David that died in Anaheim, CA in 1997 at 42.
I believe I am more than likely of scottish decent. I also have green eyes.

I don't know if that amounts to anything but anyway some insight from others on the my poss. lineage would be appreciated.

Being the bastard son of a soldier I have pretty thick skin and I just want truth

Have you had a Ydna test done?
Ernest P Fournier

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »

Yes, I am new. I have been tested R1b, M343. Subclade? R1b1a2, M264 (12 Marker)
I'm waiting results of Marker 67 test.
I have questios;
1/Should I be posting on this forum?
2/What does the M343, & M264 all mean?

Thank you.
Ernie Fournier
GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »

Yes, I am new. I have been tested R1b, M343. Subclade? R1b1a2, M264 (12 Marker)
I'm waiting results of Marker 67 test.
I have questios;
1/Should I be posting on this forum?
2/What does the M343, & M264 all mean?

Thank you.
Ernie Fournier

I suspect you mean M269 instead of M264. The M343 SNP tells you that you are in the R1b haplogroup, and M269 further refines it to R1b1b2. However that doesn't tell you much, as R1b-M269 is the most common haplogroup in Europe. Yes, this forum is about R1b1b2 and subclades, but the vast majority here are primarily interested in the R1b1b2 subclade L21. If you are interested in the subject of deep ancestry, you should consider ordering the deep clade haplogroup test from FTDNA, if you are a customer there.

I assume from your surname that you are of French ancestry. The composition of R1b in France is of great interest to many people on this forum.

I hope this answers some of your questions.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:29:20 PM by GoldenHind » Logged
Ernest P Fournier

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »

Thank you for correcting me. Could you tell me what the L21 indicates. Just curious.
Thanks again.
Ernie
GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »

Thank you for correcting me. Could you tell me what the L21 indicates. Just curious.
Thanks again.
Ernie

L21 is a variety of R1b which has the L21 SNP. Actually L21 is a variety of R1b-P312, which itself is a variety of R1b-M269, with several other steps in between. It is particularly common in the British Isles, but is also found in large numbers in France, as well as other European countries. Just how widespread L21 is in France has attracted a great deal of attention. If you scroll up on this page, you'll see a link to the R1b family tree based on SNPs. However it is constantly changing as new SNPs are discovered.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.