World Families Forums - Welcome to the R1b and Subclades Subforum!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 01:26:37 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Welcome to the R1b and Subclades Subforum!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome to the R1b and Subclades Subforum!  (Read 27425 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: November 16, 2008, 12:32:02 PM »

Welcome!

This forum is a place to discuss R1b and all its subclades. Please feel free to post here.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:08:11 PM by rms2 » Logged

Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:05:14 PM »

We're glad to have Rich as Moderator of the R1b1b2 Board.  Feel free to start a new topic or to ask your question(s).  I hope this is a help to R1b1b2 researchers

Terry
R-U152+ L2+
M126-M160-L20-
R1b1b2a1b7c* (FTDNA - Nov 2008)
R1b1c10 (pre May 2008)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:32:18 AM by terry » Logged
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »

WorldFamilies has been very pleased to provide a Forum for discussion of R1b1b2 issues - and this is a lively and interesting place - as we hoped.

There are - and will be - many interpretations and theories.  It is appropriate to discuss all of the competing ideas - no matter who presents them and no matter what toes they may step on.  Theories that  are quite unconventional today could become the conventional wisdom of tomorrow - or may be way off base.  That reality creates the need to discuss ideas and possibilities which may conflict - and we fully support that. 

We actually encourage lively discussions about the issues.  We do not, however, allow those discussions to extend to negative comments about the individuals who present them.

Best to each of you in your research and learning!

Terry
smcg39

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:39:30 AM »

I wanted to ask a question in regards to DNA. My results came back and my results say that I match the Niall of Nine Hostages modal group. Most of my matches are from Northern Ireland and also from Scotland.
My closest matches with Dna25,37 and 67 are with the O'Neills and McMurrays from Irleand  and Douglas from Scotland.
I have not come across any other McGraths (as of yet) that even are remotely close to a match not even in the 12 marker test and those show I match over a 1000 others but not with the same surname.
There msut be other McGraths from Northern Ireland or Scotland, just maybe not tested yet or is not public.
Anyone else coming up against this problem.
I have been tested with Ancestry, SMGF and FamilytreeDNA and it is the same results with all the databases.
David Grant
Project Coordinator

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:40:42 PM »

Hi

I have not come across any other McGraths (as of yet) that even are remotely close to a match not even in the 12 marker test and those show I match over a 1000 others but not with the same surname.

The chances are that there is a Non Parental Event in your family somewhere. You can find lots of references to this to see what it means

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22non+parental+event%22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
smcg39

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 04:17:54 AM »

Thanks for the reply.
I was leaning that way as well towards an NPE.
But low and behold yesterday I got two hits on McGraths who match me on the 12 marker test. Considering that I have not had any hits on any database I have been on is promising.
Waiting to hear back from them.
I also have a theory on the name being McGrath even though descended from Nial.
I was reading that there was also Ul Neill in southern Ireland as well before the time of surnames and that Brian Boru then conquered this group on his way to becoming High King. Would only make sense they would have to join a clan and take on the name when surnames came in around 1000 A.D.
But anyway only a theory.
Steve
Pendragon62

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »

Hello Rich !

It's me, Guy !
I just joined this forum, since you told me about it, alot of interesting reading.

I seen were Susan from the Wales DNA project has posted on here.

I was glad to find out I was R-L21+.
I e-mail Robert Hughes about my test, he was very glad to know I was R-L21+, he said that means I'm not main land Europe but Britain.

Y-DNA:  R-L21+

Y-DNA: R-L21+
GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 03:07:40 PM »

I e-mail Robert Hughes about my test, he was very glad to know I was R-L21+, he said that means I'm not main land Europe but Britain.

Don't believe him. L21 is also found on the continent- in Germany, France, Scandinavia and more. No one has any idea yet exactly what its history and distribution are.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »

Goldenhind is right. An L21+ result does not mean one is assured of British or Irish ancestry.

You are probably of Welsh descent because that is what your haplotype matches indicate. As a bonus, being L21+ is not inconsistent with that, since L21 appears to be very common in Wales.

But, yeah, there is plenty of L21+ popping up on the Continent, especially in Germany.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:06:02 PM by rms2 » Logged

aidan

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 06:46:52 PM »

Hello.

The results from my 25 Marker Y-DNA Test are -

14     25     14     11     11     13     12     12     12     13     14     29     17     9     10     11     11     25     15     18     30     15     16     16     17.

My 393 = 14 and not 13.
So, does that mean that I am not descended from Niall Of The Nine Hostages?
Even though all of my other markers match.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:49:51 PM by aidan » Logged

Y-DNA: R-M222
mtDNA: H3
Pendragon1962

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »

Don't believe him. L21 is also found on the continent- in Germany, France, Scandinavia and more. No one has any idea yet exactly what its history and distribution are.

I don't think anyone really knows yet, because we don't have enough results yet.

Why do we always think it had to come from the west first than east to Britain, why not started out first in Britan than went east ?

Like I said, no one knows yet till more results come in.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »

Hello.

14     25     14     11     11     13     12     12     12     13     14     29     17     9     10     11     11     25     15     18     30     15     16     16     17.

My 393 = 14 and not 13.

I think it is VERY likely you are M222+. Have you had the Deep Clade-R test yet?

That is the only way to tell for sure.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 09:20:48 AM »

I don't think anyone really knows yet, because we don't have enough results yet.

Why do we always think it had to come from the west first than east to Britain, why not started out first in Britan than went east ?

Like I said, no one knows yet till more results come in.

Well, that is right, we don't know for sure yet.

But throughout history (and prehistory) the direction of population flow has been from the Continent into Britain and not the other way around.

It is a fact that the Celtic languages came from the Continent, and they got into Britain somehow.

Then there is the fact that genetic genealogy is overloaded right now with persons of British Isles descent, which generally means that nearly every R1b1b2 clade is well represented in the British Isles, especially at first. Yet L21, as new as it is (October of 2008), has already turned up among persons of continental descent in fairly impressive numbers, especially among Germans.

P312+ and its various clades are better represented on the Continent than in the Isles. It seems likely to me that L21 first appeared where P312 was spinning off its other children, that is, on the Continent.

Then there is Henri Hubert's book (originally two books), The History of the Celtic People. In it he gives some very good archaeological and linguistic reasons to believe the Goidels (Gaels) came from western Germany originally. Hubert also traces the origin of some the Brythonic-speaking tribes to Germany and does so very convincingly.

My own feeling is that flow of L21 to the Isles began with the Beaker folk, like the famous Amesbury Archer, continued with the Goidels, on through the Britons, some of the Belgae, and even no doubt many of the Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans and subsequent immigrants.

aidan

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 12:21:02 PM »

Hello.

My 393 = 14 and not 13.

I think it is VERY likely you are M222+. Have you had the Deep Clade-R test yet?

That is the only way to tell for sure.

I have ordered the Deep Clade test and I am also currently awaiting the results of my 67 marker Y-DNA test.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 12:46:33 PM »

I have ordered the Deep Clade test and I am also currently awaiting the results of my 67 marker Y-DNA test.

Good. That will tell the tale. I think you will be M222+.

I wouldn't worry too much about that 393=14. That just represents a move of one from the usual 393=13.

Aidan, what is your YSearch number? Mine is HX9ZF.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:51:38 PM by rms2 » Logged

aidan

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 01:04:11 PM »

Good. That will tell the tale. I think you will be M222+.

I wouldn't worry too much about that 393=14. That just represents a move of one from the usual 393=13.

Aidan, what is your YSearch number? Mine is HX9ZF.

My YSearch number is 3PQJ2.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 01:36:36 PM »

My YSearch number is 3PQJ2.

Your closest haplotype neighbors all appear to be M222+, and you are just one off (via your 393=14) the 25-marker "Niall" haplotype.

If I were a betting man, I would put money on an M222+ result for you.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:37:06 PM by rms2 » Logged

Jafety R1b-U152

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »

Hello,

I am new here as I got my testing results only last week. But now I am happy to join my “far relatives” here. With one of my friends, we did quite deep research on haplogroups vs. history vs. languages, so I would like to share my views on the non-Germanic branch of R1b1b2, namely the R1b1b2a1b (S116). This is the ancestor of two Basque (M65, M153), the Iberian-Atlantic (M167), the “British-Irish” (L21), and the Alpine-Celtic (S28/U152) groups. S116 appeared around 2500 BC, surely in the “Franco-Cantabrian refuge area” or “Greater Basque-Land” if you like. Its spread is very likely to correspond to the migration of the Bell Beakers, who spread all over Western Europe in late 3rd-early 2nd millennium BC. L21 is calibrated around 2000 BC, the earliest of all subgroups; U152 and the two Basque lines appeared around 1500 BC, while the latest to emerge was Iberian M167 around 850 BC.
No lets have a look at the pre-IE language groups in Western Europe: we have the Basques, the Iberians, the Ligurians and the Picts, as well as Etruscans and Rhaetian who spoke a language related to Lemnian, Cretan and Cypriot. Etruscan and Rhaetian thus can not originate from Western Europe, they are more likely the language of the Neolithic settlers (Hg E-M78). If you look at the remaining four, they correspond very well to the subgroups of S116. M65 and M153 in the Basque-Gascon area spoke Basque/Vascon languages, M167 should have been the Iberian in modern Catalonia who spread also into the Southern part of the British Isles. L21 can be the last pre-Celtic inhabitant of the British Isles, Picts or anyhow you like to call them. S28/U152 is quite a good applicant for Ligurians or an unknown people who were later fully Indo-Europeanized.
Now, around 1200 BC there were big migrations in Europe (see Bronze Age Collapse) and Indo-Europeans arrived in the Carpathian Basin. In Western Pannonia, the Hallstatt culture started to emerge from 1200 BC, which is a widely accepted ancestor of Celts. I think a few metal-worker Indo-Europeans introduced iron-working or the local U152 inhabitants learnt it from IE people. Thus the pre-Celtic language mixing with IE neighbours (most likely Illyrians) produced the proto-Celtic language (S28/U152) in the Alps region.
In the later Hallstatt and La Tene periods, the comparative advantage of iron weapons helped the Celtic expansion all over Europe. Thus my final point in the topic question is that U-152 is Celtic and L21 is not, L21 are the pre-Celtic but post-Neolithic inhabitants of Britain. The appearance of L21 on the continent can be explained through two different possibilities:
a)   remnants of early L21 population, who stayed in the continent after the majority was pushed north by Celts and Atlanto-Iberians
b)   result of later back-migration from Britain through population mixing in the Age of Migrations

Y-DNA: R1b1b2a1b4 (S28/U-152) L2 test pending
Earliest known paternal ancestor: Matthias Fejer, b. 1819, Jaszarokszallas, Jasz county, Central Hungary
MtDNA: U4 (Western Siberian Ugric)
Nolan Admin - Glenn Allen Nolen
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

"I am new here as I got my testing results only last week."

Might I suggest you search the Genealogy DNA Archives. The discussions in that venue might give you some relevant information about the topics you bring up here.     

GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/GENEALOGY-DNA

GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives: March 2009

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/GENEALOGY-DNA/2009-03?m=r&n=y&d=y&s=Redisplay
Pendragon1962

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 09:40:58 PM »

result of later back-migration from Britain through population mixing in the Age of Migrations

This is how I believe R-L21+ got to Germany and other areas east of the British Islands.
Great thinking !

Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 10:42:49 PM »

Hate to say it, but I do not think Jafety R-U152 knows very much about what he is talking about. He appears to be a newbie who got R-U152 test results one week ago. I cetainly would advise him to read more on these forums, lists, and boards before jumping in to the deep end and offending the entire R-L21 population.
vtilroe
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »

Hate to say it, but I do not think Jafety R-U152 knows very much about what he is talking about. He appears to be a newbie who got R-U152 test results one week ago. I cetainly would advise him to read more on these forums, lists, and boards before jumping in to the deep end and offending the entire R-L21 population.

I hope most of us are thick-skinned enough.  Besides, we can't all be right on the first try.

YSearch & MitoSearch: 2GXWW

yDNA: R-U106*

mtDNA: U5a1a1 (Genbank# GQ368895)

R-P312-WTY Project Admin http://tinyurl.com/daertg

Jafety R1b-U152

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 03:47:13 AM »

I did not want to offend the L21 population... And I am not a newbie as you mean. With one of my friends, we have done a quite comprehensive Y-DNA+Archeology+Linguistics research in the last 2 years and read many papers with many statistics. I did not came to this forum before only because I did not know my Y-DNA and I saw that everyone here knows so would be odd to post without knowing my ancestors.
Look, I believe in "free thinking" and I do not think that every one of my points is correct. But it is worth have a look on issues from a different point of view.
Most of the geneticists are not historians, and linguists are also not geneticists etc., but a comprehensive viewpoint (even if not scholarly) can help many times.

And plus on the L21: my theory does not say that all L21 people migrated to Britain with the Bell-Beakers. I am sure that many stayed on the continent and later arrived in Britain with the Celts or Anglo-Saxons. What I mean is the basic identity, I mean which Haplogroup was likely to carry which archeological culture or which language.

I hope this answer delights you and would not kick me off this forum...

Earliest known paternal ancestor: Matthias Fejer, b. 1819, Jaszarokszallas, Jasz county, Central Hungary
Project Coordinator
Old Hand

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 09:22:07 AM »

"And I am not a newbie as you mean. With one of my friends, we have done a quite comprehensive Y-DNA+Archeology+Linguistics research in the last 2 years and read many papers with many statistics."

OK, no offense, but it appears the papers you are reading are what I term fantasy science. The amateur genetic geneaogy community is leading the way in this industry. I have already posted links for you to review. Here they are again:

GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/GENEALOGY-DNA

GENEALOGY-DNA-L Archives: March 2009

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/GENEALOGY-DNA/2009-03?m=r&n=y&d=y&s=Redisplay

And my R-U152 page:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nolenancestry/page12.html

As for your below comment on another thread, "Basically I expected R1a, as I look a bit Asian (some say Korean..."

I think you will find my above listed R-U152 project helpful.

"Most of the geneticists are not historians, and linguists are also not geneticists etc., but a comprehensive viewpoint (even if not scholarly) can help many times."

True, take a look at my comprehensive R-U152 pages.

Thanks,

Jafety R1b-U152

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 10:43:41 AM »

OK, I will read all of it carefully and go point-by-point with which I agree or do not agree. It is quite a long page so it will take time.

Thanks

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 18 queries.