World Families Forums - Possible Cherokee lineage of Juda (no last name) Hickey

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 02:43:57 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Possible Cherokee lineage of Juda (no last name) Hickey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible Cherokee lineage of Juda (no last name) Hickey  (Read 1259 times)
emuwally

« on: February 20, 2008, 01:59:45 PM »

Hi, My name is Wally Caviness of Bellingham, Washington.

I am trying to prove that Juda (NLN) Hickey, wife of Cornelius Hickey is of Cherokee lineage.

I just recently had a DNA test of my mouth for Ancestry.Com to see if there is any Cherokee lineage bloodlines.  I will know the resullts in a few weeks.  I will post them on this forum.

I just recently got a reply by Myra Gormley to my query whether or not that Juda was of native american lineage.

She stated that if any native blood it would be Cherokee.  However, in that part of VA. where Cornelius was born, it would be unlikely that Cornelius married a native. If so, he would be banished from that area. 

So, my question is????   Did Cornelius leave VA. because he had got Juda pregnant??

I noticed in a family history that Cornelius and Juda were married in 1876, the same year that their first child was born in TN.

My ggg grandmother Nancy Hickey who married John T. Little Sr. was born in TN. along with the rest of her siblings.

My Hickey lineage was follows:

Wally Caviness born in WA.
Edith Marie Evans Caviness born in AR
Robert Wiley Evans bn. in Linden, Perry Co. TN.
Francis Elnora Little Evans born in Linden, Perry Co. TN.
Isaac Little born in Linden, Perry Co. TN.
Nancy Hickey Little born in Knox Co. TN
Cornelius Hickey born in VA--Juda (NLN) born in VA

I would like to know if any other Cornelius and Juda descendents have been DNA tested that show that Juda was of Indian lineage.

I have photo's of Isaac, his daughter Francis, Francis's children.
They all show the following physical traits:
l. tall and slim
2.high cheek bones
3.dark complexion

Francis Little Evans claimed she was 1/4 Cherokee.  She spoke broken English, her and her three siblings could not read or write (Francis age 15) when their mother Nancy Elizabeth Roberts Little remarried to a William French.  (1870 Census)

Nancy's husband Isaac Little died of the flu in 1864 while in a Union hospital in Germantown, TN. while a member of the US Army (Union) TN. Calvary

I would appreciate any feedback or other data that you may have.

Wally
carolynegould

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:37:23 PM »

You said: "So, my question is????   Did Cornelius leave VA. because he had got Juda pregnant??"

The answer would be that no one will ever know the answer to that question unless you find a family diary, bible or old letters that might clarify the issue. What you do know, is that in 1876 it would have been difficult for a couple living in Virginia, where one of the persons is Native, to have married. So the fact that their first child was born in Tennessee after they moved out of Virginia is a clue to Juda's possible Native American heritage.

But, after looking at your query, I have questions regarding the timeline. You say Cornelius and Judah married in 1876. Yet you show Frances Little, their grandchild, as age 15 in 1870. That would make her born in 1855, before her mother was even born. Something is wrong with the dates.

Carolyne
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 18 queries.