World Families Forums - No lineage yet

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 04:32:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'G'
| | |-+  Gorman (Moderator: Seán MacGorman Powell)
| | | |-+  No lineage yet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No lineage yet  (Read 891 times)
mgor12345

« on: August 28, 2008, 03:10:46 PM »

First off, want to thank Shawn for taking over this project.  Your energy has gotten me re-excited in this topic!

I am hoping to see someone pop up on this board that is 385a,b= 11,16.  This looks to be a rare marker.  It is seen in less than 3.5% of the results on the Irish DNA project.

By the way, are all the Gormans there also here?

I was in Ireland in the spring and can testify to how often the name pops up (or O'Gorman) as you make your way across the country.  Do we have anyone from Ireland in this project?

Michael
Seán MacGorman Powell
Project Coordinator

Gorman DNA Project Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 09:34:38 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, Michael.  I am really passionate about genetic genealogy, and I won't rest until everybody in the project finds their place on the family tree.  That's a never ending goal, so I guess it's going to be a long time before I get any rest!

Yeah, I sure see what you mean about your DYS385.  385b=16 seems to only be found in about 2% of R1b's (pretty close to the 3.5% figure you counted on the Ireland Heritage Project).  Well, at least you know that if you ever do get a close match at 37 or more markers, and he shares that mutation, then you'll have a very strong match!

I haven't compared kit numbers to see if all the Ireland project members are in the Gorman project too, but I know I am, and I encourage the rest of you to join it, if you've got Irish Y-DNA ancestry (you can belong to both projects simultaneously).

I've been to Ireland too, a few times, and I know what you mean about the Gorman/O'Gorman name being all over the place.  I think there are a few places there called Gormanstown.  The name is definitely more concentrated in certain areas though, historically speaking.

Shawn
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.