World Families Forums - Bayman/Pythouse

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 11:11:30 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Pitts (Moderator: Dave Pitts)
| | | |-+  Bayman/Pythouse
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bayman/Pythouse  (Read 1833 times)
baymanp

« on: February 09, 2005, 01:51:52 AM »

My family used the name Bayman/Pythouse from at least 1500 to 1700s...my DNA is similar to Pitts so I am guessing that the Pitman listed may be using a derivation of the original surname Pythouse (or whatever that was a derivation of).
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 10:01:48 PM »

What do you mean that your family used bayman/pythouse?  Diid they change their name sometime in the middle of that time period?

-Biscuits
Peter Bayman
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 12:41:51 PM »

Sorry for long delay ... the first recorded Bayman (that is, my family) I have found is in Ramsbury Wiltshire 1533 and they record their name as Bayman als (short for "alias"; Americans use aka short for "also known as") Pytthouse. The family used this for at least two hundred years with a number of variations including Pithouse, Pittis and Pittes. It was common in medieval times to use another name as an alias ... some reasons are to 1. associate with a prestigous family 2. Use the name of of your wife if she came from a prestgous family 3. could also imply that the person was illegitimate and the second name was the real fathers name.

I have searched far and wide and have not been able to find records before 1533 that indicate where the Pytthouse came from. There is a place called Pythouse in southern Wilthire which was owned by a well known family called Bennett and I have found one example of where they called themselves Bennett als Pythouse but have found no connection so far.

I have also examined the possible connection with other variations of Pytthouse such as Pittis, Peytows, Peyto etc but to no avail. There is a book by a Pittis family member (Pittis Genealogy, 1945) which lists members from 1480 to 1944 and there are many early variations on the spelling of their name - Pyts, Pyttys, Pitts, Pits, Pittes, Pyttis etc

If we all get our DNA tested then we will be able to link up with the papers records...you will find my test results at http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/b/bynum/results.html - I am trying to find the origin of Bayman as being derived from either the Baynhams of Gloucestershire or the Beaumont family.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.