World Families Forums - Caribbean Y-DNA Project

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 28, 2014, 12:47:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Caribbean Y-DNA Project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caribbean Y-DNA Project  (Read 2500 times)
Miles Hispaniae

« on: May 20, 2008, 02:35:27 PM »

I have created a Caribbean Y-DNA Project for anyone with ancestry or origins in the Caribbean to join..My goal is to find out the ancestry of many of the Europeans who immigrated and settled or conquered most of the Caribbean Islands. Also the Native population and the African population in result of the slave trade. Especiallly the Irish population who many have been forgotten by the latter immigrations and the current Irish population in Ireland and the World. I am interested in finding the ancestry of the surnames associated with these countries who immigrated to many of the island of the Caribbean and the Caribbean.

1. Spanish
2. French
3. Corsican
4. Dutch
5. Dane
6. Norman ( Scandinavian , Roman - Gallo)
7. German
8. African
9. Irish
10. Scottish
11. Native American
12. Asian ( Chinese, Indian )

Islands that at one point were and some are still colonies of European nations.

British West Indies : Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bay Islands, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Croix (Santa Cruz), Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Danish West Indies : United States Virgin Islands.

Dutch West Indies : Netherlands Antilles and Aruba, Virgin Islands, Saint Croix , Tobago and Bay Islands.

French West Indies : Anguilla , Antigua and Barbuda , Dominica, Dominican Republic , Grenada, Haiti, Montserrat , Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Eustatius , St Kitts , Tobago , Saint Croix, Martinique and Guadeloupe , Saint Barthelemy and Saint Martin.

Portuguese West Indies: Barbados

Spanish West Indies : Cuba, Hispaniola ( Dominican Republic and Haiti), Puerto Rico, Jamaica , the Cayman Islands, Trinidad and Bay Islands.

Swedish West Indies : French Saint-Barthélemy and Guadeloupe .

Continental countries with a vast Caribbean coastline and various island with a rich history of piracy and European conquests

1. Belize
2. Colombia
3. Costa Rica
4. French Guiana
5. Guatemala
6. Guyana
7. Honduras
8. Mexico
9. Nicaragua
10. Panama
11. Venezuela 

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/caribbeanproject 

Many y-dna studies on the Irish have been done without the complete and true facts about the Irish population before the 1600's. How can a study be made? Without the y-dna samples of the Irish sold into slavery during the Cromwell years in Ireland or military prisoners and the descendants of the "Wild Geese" who fought in the Spanish regiments all throught the Caribbean.

1. After the battle of Kinsale 30,000 military prisoners who were sold to the English plantations in the Caribbean.
2. By 1637 the island of Montserrat in the West Indies the population was 69% Irish slaves.
3. In 1650 25,000 Irish slaves were sold to planters in St.Kitts.
4. Over 100,000 children and women were sold to English planters in the West Indies and to the United States particularly New England and Virginia.
5. 12,000 Irish prisoners were sold to English planters in the Island of Barbados.
6. 82, 000 in total Irish were sold and transported has slaves to Barbados and the state of Virginia.
The English transported about 1,900,000 slaves to their colonies in the Caribbean from the years 1651 to 1807 when they finally abolished the slave trade.

The French, whose trade lasted between 1664 and 1830, shipped about 1,650,000 to their colonies.

In roughly the same period, the Dutch took 900,000 to the Guianas and the West Indies.

Of course, these figures do not include those who died on the sea voyage and those who were killed by slave hunters in the gathering process in Africa.

The Dutch occupied Tobago in the early 1630s.

The Spaniards took over St. Croix, but the French drove them out in 1650.

In the middle of the 17th century the Dutch dominated trade with over 25,000 ships.

The Danes on St. Thomas occupied nearby St. John in 1716, and the French sold St. Croix to the Danes in 1733.

In 1777 the Island of Grenada had 27 slaves per European.

The population of the British West Indies in 1787.

1. 461,864 African slaves
2. 58,353 Europeans, and 7,706 free Africans.

The population of the French West Indies in 1780.

1. 437,738 African slaves
2. 63,682 Europeans, and 13,429 free Africans.

Between 1791 and 1805 Havana, Cuba received over 91,000 slaves.

St. Domingue imported over 800,000 African slaves between 1680 and 1776.

In 1791 St. Domingue had 7,466 plantations-

The census of 1774 recorded that 5,000 of the 7,000 female affranchis were the mistresses of Europeans.

There were Dutch, Danes, Normans, French , Corsicans, Germans, Irish slaves and Irish soldiers who fought for various military regiments in Spain.

The Caribbean is full of a rich history of piracy especially among the Islands of the Caribbean. The Y-DNA of these men must and is among the population. There is also the The Royal Decree of Graces of 1815 that allowed many of Corsican , French, German , Irish and Scots to settle among the Spanish governed islands.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:55:22 PM by Miles Hispaniae » Logged
noj1

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:23:30 AM »

Complements for your research and notes.
I am a Hornsby and a FamilytreeDNA particpant.
Should you possess now or future results for a group of slave and/or plantation workers in Jamaica with the name Hornsby I wld be interested to hear.
I am currently inquiring into their ethnicity and also seeking the parent Hornsby in that locality at that period who wld I summise connect to paternity of someone of the UK and Ireland.   This may be know by current holders of the name n Jamaica with whom I am now currently trying to contact.
I will keep you in touch:   John Hornsby 
Miles Hispaniae

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:34:07 PM »

I have come across a participant as far as Australia with a ancestor that lived in Jaimaca and looks to possibly find  ancestors in Jaimaca. I will create a section to the project of anyone outside the Caribbean who thinks that they might have ancestors or descendants in the Caribbean to join.

You're welcome to join if you desire just email me you info and i will post it.

This is a area of research that has not been explored or researched to my knowledge. I will like to see the day that i can unite or find matches of those lost ancestors that peolpe never know about or suspected.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/caribbeanproject 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 18 queries.