World Families Forums - Silas William K. McLendon, father Jeremiah M. McLendon, grandfather Isaac (M-9)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 09:14:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'M'
| | |-+  McClendon (Moderator: Mary Lee Becker)
| | | |-+  Silas William K. McLendon, father Jeremiah M. McLendon, grandfather Isaac (M-9)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silas William K. McLendon, father Jeremiah M. McLendon, grandfather Isaac (M-9)  (Read 1035 times)
Mary Lee Becker
Old Hand

« on: April 14, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »

Descendant of Silas William K. McLendon of the McClendon Y-DNA Project:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/McClendon/default.aspx?section=results

An important find was made by William Kelly McLendon, member of the McClendon Y-DNA Project and descendant of Silas William K. McLendon. William Kelly McLendon found the graves of his ancestors in Valdosta, GA:

Silas W. K. McLendon
B June 8, 1838
D Nov 25, 1890

Mary J. McLendon
B Dec 23, 1844
D Aug 7, 1904

Nearby are some of the graves of their descendants:

Their son:
John Burton McLendon
B July 3, 1872
D Sept 21, 1991

Another son:
Newdy B. McLendon
1870 - 1932

Daughter-in-law, wife of Newton/Newdy B.:
Lenna E. McLendon
1881-1967

Grandson, and the son of Newton B.:
John R. McLendon
1901 - 1954

Using the information from the headstones, we were able to locate this information from Ancestry.com's "American Civil War Soldiers," a "compilation of military records (including state rosters, pension records, and regimental histories) of individual soldiers who served in the United States Civil War.":

Name: Silas William McLendon
Residence: Lowndes County, Georgia
Enlistment Date: 21 Sep 1861
Side Served: Confederacy
State Served: Georgia
Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on September 1861.
Enlisted in on 21 Sep 1861
Discharged from on 1 Feb 1862
Sources: 6

And also this record from Ancestry.com's "U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865":
Name: S. W. McLendon
Side: Confederate
Regiment State/Origin: Georgia
Regiment Name: 26 Georgia Infantry
Regiment Name Expanded: 26th Regiment, Georgia Infantry
Company: H
Rank In: Private
Rank Out: Private
Film Number: M226 roll 41

So now we know that this McLendon line is descended from a Veteran of the U.S. Civil War.

Therefore we can now know the name of the father of Silas William McLendon: Jeremiah M. McLendon, from the following Will:

Troup Co. Will Book A
1832-1848
(Extract)
Jeremiah M. McLendon, 3/2/1840, 4/6/1840, Pg. 122-124
Wife: Mary Ann
Children: Elitha Ann Bethena and Silas William McLendon
Exrs: Freeman McLendon of Meriwether Co. And Gabriel Spearman of Heard Co.
Wits: James H. Walker, John P. Heredon, Orville A. Bull.

Note: Natalie McLendon has posted a transcription of the above Will:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=mcclendon1&id=I27

Jeremiah McClendon, as well as Freeman McLendon, are listed in the Will of Isaac McLendon of Baldwin/Jasper Co., Georgia, dated 24 Aug 1820, recorded 9 Sep 1824.
The Will of Isaac McLendon was copied by Natalie McLendon, and posted on this page at the McClendon Genforum:
http://genforum.genealogy.com/mcclendon/messages/1048.html

In this Will of Isaac McLendon, Jeremiah is listed as a son and heir of Isaac McLendon:
"8. I do likewise will and bequeath unto my sons Jeremiah and Jesse each one horse ...(same as Etheldred)"
"9. I will unto my three sons James, Jeremiah and Jesse the two lots of land whereon I now live, to wit, number 8 and 28 in the 16th district"
as is Freeman McLendon:
"6. I do likewise will unto my son Freeman on a lot of land number 9 in the 16th district formerly Baldwin, now Jasper...(same as Etheldred)"

Isaac also mentions in the Will, "my daughter Elethy."
Elitha Ann Bethena McLendon, b. 10 Oct 1836 Butts, GA., d. 27 Jul 1891 in Morven, Brook, GA, married Newdaygate Benson Ousley, b. 26 Feb 1829 Worth GA. This accounts for Silas William McLendon having the son named "Newdy B. McLendon," who is buried near him in Valdosta, GA (see above). These facts constitute a link between Elitha (McLendon) Ousley, and Silas William McLendon.

In the 1840 Federal Census in Troup Co. GA, we find the widow of Jeremiah M. McLendon, Mary Ann McLendon, 15-20 yrs old, listed with her son, Silas William McLendon, under 5 years old, and daughter, Elitha McLendon, under 5 years old. In the same District is listed a Mary McLendon, who is living alone, and is 90-100 yrs old. It is possible that this is Jeremiah's mother, Mary (Fincher) McLendon, widow of Isaac McLendon:

*1840 U.S. Federal Census
District 805, Troup County, Georgia
                                       Males                      Females
Mary Ann McLendon    1************     1**1*********
Mary McLendon           *************     ***********1*
-5/5-10/10-15/15-20/20-30/30-40/40-50/50-60/60-70/70-80/80-90/90-1000100+

It is the opinion of the McClendon DNA Project group administrator, Mary (McClendon) Becker, that Silas William McLendon and his sister, Elitha McLendon,  are listed as "William Watts" and  "Elitha Watts" in the 1850 U.S. Census for LaGrange, Troup County, Georgia. Their mother, Mary Ann McLendon, is listed as "Mary Ann Watts." Mary Ann was the widow of 1st Jeremiah M. McLendon, and 2nd Thomas S. Watts, who is listed in the 1850 Census Mortality Schedule:

*1850 U.S. Federal Census
LaGrange, Troup Co., Georgia
page 23, lines 26-31
Mary Ann Watts, age 28, F, born in Georgia
Eletha A. Watts, age 13, F, born in Georgia
William Watts, age 11, M, born in Georgia
George Watts, age 8, M, born in Georgia
Mary F. Watts, age 5, F, born in Georgia
Edward Watts, age 3, M, born in Georgia

1860 U.S. Federal Census:
Brooks Co., GA.
William McClenden [Age] 22 M Farmer , Value of Real Estate in $ 3000, Value Personal Estate in $ 9000 [born in] GA.*

1870 U.S. Federal Census
Lowndes Co. [previously Brooks Co.], GA
William McClenden 31 M W Farming, [$] 130, GA
Mary J. McClenden 26 F W Keeping House GA
Mary McClenden 5 F W GA
William H. McClenden 2 M W GA
Nathan B. McClenden 2/12 M W GA
W. E. Branon 22 F W Domestic Servant GA

1880 U.S. Federal Census
District 74, Ousley, Lowndes Co., GA
William McLendon 42 Head W M  GA  [father's birthplace]GA  [mother's birthplace]GA  Farmer
Mary J. McLendon 35 Wife W F  GA SC GA Keeps House
Mary J. McLendon 13 Daughter W F  GA GA GA  At Home
Holton McLendon 11 Son W M  GA GA GA  At Home
Nutent McLendon 9 Son W M  GA GA GA  At Home
John B. McLendon 7 Son W M  GA GA GA  At Home
Thomas O. McLendon 5 W M  GA GA GA  At Home
Henry K. McLendon 3 Son W M  GA GA GA  At Home
Leila I. McLendon 1 Daughter W F  GA GA GA  At Home

1900 U.S. Federal Census
District 70, Valdosta, Lowndes Co., GA
M. McLendon [age]53  [birthdate]Dec 1846 Head W F Widowed, 10 children, 9 still living, GA SC GA
M. J. McLendon 35  Feb 1865 Daughter  GA GA GA
T. O. McLendon 25  Nov 1874 Son  GA GA GA  Planeing Mill
Kirk McLendon 23  Oct 1876 Son  GA GA GA Bicycle Repairer
R. A. McLendon 18  Jan 1882 Daughter  GA GA GA
Joe McLendon 14  Oct 1885 Son  GA GA GA
Blooth Young 28  Mar 1872 Son-in-law  Married 2 yrs  GA GA GA
L. I. Young 21  Mar 1879 Daughter  GA GA GA

*Note from Mary Lee Becker, Group Admin.: Note the value of both the Real Estate and and Personal estate of this 22 year old William McClenden in the 1860 Census, who was very, very wealthy for such a young man. One would have to conclude that this amount of wealth would probably need to have come from an inheritance of some sort. Jeremiah M. McLendon inherited 1 horse, and an interest in 2 lots of land, as per the Will of Isaac McLendon. Silas William McLendon, and his mother and sister, then would have inherited those assets upon the death of Jeremiah. I have not found the widow, Mary Ann McLendon, listed in the 1860 census, show she may have passed away, as well.

Note from descendant William Kelly McLendon on his ancestor, the son of Silas William K. McLendon, Wiiliam Holton McLendon:
"William Holton McLendon also owned the General Store and was Postmaster at Ousley (near Valdosta)..."        

Here is a link to a web page showing the more information on some of the descendants of Silas William K. McLendon**:
http://mcclendon.rootsweb.ancestry.com/mcclendon/WilliamTMcLendon.html
**Note from Mary Lee Becker, Group Admin. : The "T"(?) in the this case was taken from an entry pertaining to this person in the 1870 Federal Census. The T(?) was very tiny, and above and to the right of his given name. In my opinion, it did not ever look as though it were the middle initial T.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:49:07 PM by Mary Lee Becker » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 19 queries.