World Families Forums - Family heirlooms

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 13, 2014, 09:57:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'B'
| | |-+  Brewster (Moderator: Jeanne E. Killick)
| | | |-+  Family heirlooms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Family heirlooms  (Read 1441 times)
Arlin Brewster

« on: October 12, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »

Greetings all,

My name is Arlin Brewster and I am just beginning my search into my family history. I hail from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada where my family has been living on the same plot of land for six generations, before Canada was a country. After my grandfather (Phillip Oliver Brewster) passed away, my grandma began showing me several heirlooms that caught my attention and made me curious about my genealogy.

One is a hand-written book approximately an inch thick bound in some type of very coarse and brittle paper that is inscribed "A.D. 1526". The text inside is written in old English and is, at times, so different from modern English that it can be difficult to understand. There is no name in the book other than that of a son by the name of William Brewster, and since there were so many William Brewsters back then, I've always wondered which one it is. My feeling was that it is likely just a relation of the family we are all interested in. One thing is for sure - I need to have the book preserved before it falls apart completely.

We also have a single, folded-page pamphlet for a service being held at Scrooby Manor, pressed in onion skin and also at the point of falling apart.

There is another pamphlet for a church service with a date of 1125 AD being held by a William Brewster of antiquity.

Additionally, there is an iron stamp with the family coat of arms. It is about 3" x 5" and appears to be very old. The family coat of arms has the chevron, the three flowers, a helmet on top of the crest, and a lion head above that. Below is a Latin phrase: "Verite Soyet ma Garde".

My grandma tells me that she has other heirlooms locked away in a steamer trunk but that they are so old and in such a state of fragility that she does not bring them out for fear of damaging them further. I have no idea where this trunk is; it's an old house with a lot of hiding places so who knows. I guess time will tell.

In any case, I was wondering what other relics are out there in our family's possession?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.