World Families Forums - U5a1a origins

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 13, 2014, 12:23:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Mitochondrial DNA
| | |-+  U5a1a origins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: U5a1a origins  (Read 2479 times)
Peter Davison

« on: March 12, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »

I wonder if anyone can advise re my U5a1a mtdna: I'm curious what origins it suggests.

I have traced my female line back to the name Heaviside(s) in c 1771 in Alston, Cumberland (now Cumbria), high in England's north Pennines, just over the watershed from Weardale, County Durham (N. E. England.)

I would have thought that this was classic "Ancient Briton" territory, though the Norseman did cross over the Pennines to the from the west side of England (from Ireland - perhaps with Irish wives/possibly with Norse wives)) to the North East/North Yorkshire. So perhaps SOME settled in eastern Cumberland.) (Near the river Tees estuary on the northern edge of Yorkshire we have the Irish-Norse place name of "Lackenby".)

Of course, I don't know whether this female line of mine goes back in the same district into the Anglo-Scandinavian settlement period.

The thing is, I read of U5a1a as being the Nordic mtdna  on the one hand and then see that the ancient "Cheddar Man" found in classic "Ancient Briton" territory of S. W. England was U5a1a, too. And U5a1a isn't uncommon in Scotland.

Is it that mtdna is so slow to mutate taht there will be connections all over the place - that the connections are much earlier than with Y? Is it much more difficult to be specific about origins with mt dna?

Is the best bet re origins to see where present close matches of mine have traced back to? (I have one close connection  who traces back to Germany.)

My U5a1a details are:

1st Segment - 16093C, 16192T, 16256T, 16270T, 16291T,16399G

2nd Segment- 73G, 198T,263G, 315.1C

I hope that this posting is also of some general interest. Peter Davison.
anngmones

Great Great Granddaughter of John Wakefield

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:26:23 PM »

My father's maternal testing through the genographic project gave the results of U5a1a. According to National Geographic's geneographic project this halogroup is found primarily in Finland with a few finds in North Africa. I am traveling and do not have my code to access the results at NG to compare to your individual markings but I have a feeling they are similiar. Please look at my post at this web site under Captain John Wakefield and/or Dobson, Faries, Reisler which are the maiden names of the maternal lines of my grandmother and her female grands and greats that I am aware of. I hope this helps you. anngmones

Ann McGill Garcia-Mones
Peter Davison

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:07:14 AM »

Many Thanks.
  Peter Davison.
Peter Davison

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:09:27 AM »

I've tried replying to Mary Ann L, who responded to my query above, so I thought I'd try this rout.

Many thanks! Also, I'd be grateful if you could let me know where you've traced youe Mt line.

Regards,

Peter.
Iktumi

Iktumi means Spider.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:12:20 AM »

I have always been told that my family ties were with Germans and English, and Scots on my Dads side.  But my mother kept saying her mother was Cherokee.. my group numbers are U5a1a- 316093C,16192T,16256T,16270T,16291T,16399G.

Keep the Creator above all you do, and be kind to all living spirits on this earth.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 17 queries.