World Families Forums - DNA Testing

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 06:55:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'B'
| | |-+  BUMGARNER (Moderator: Di Tarhalla)
| | | |-+  DNA Testing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DNA Testing  (Read 1150 times)
Di Tarhalla

« on: January 21, 2008, 11:17:23 PM »

I want to pass on information about how to get your DNA test done.   The Bumgarner Surname DNA Project uses Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) to do the DNA testing.  If you are interested, or want further details, contact me at family_ties@tarhalla.com.

Who can participate in the Bumgarner Surname DNA Project?  First, the participant must be a male.  This is because the DNA test is done on the Y-chromosome (the male sex chromosome).  The second requirement is that the participant must bear one of the variant surnames. Bumgarner/ Bumgardner/ Baumgardner/ Baumgartner/ Bumgartner/ Bomgardner/ Bomgartner Bomgarner. The one exception to this is if the participant is a direct male descendant of someone bearing one of the variant surnames, but someone in his line of descent changed his name such as Bumgardner to Gardner or Garner.  However, the line of descent has to be male since the Y-chromosome is passed from father to son to son, etc. and not to daughters.

Women, while they cannot test, can participate by getting a male relative bearing one of the surnames to test.

DNA testing is proving to be very useful in our genealogy.  Since the Y-chromosome is passed down virtually unchanged (except for a very slow mutation rate), two men with identical, or almost identical, DNA test results are related.  When I add this information to what we know of the genealogies involved, we can sometimes see how they relate.

I cannot discuss prices on this list, so contact me for price information.  As to which test I recommend, I recommend at least the 37-marker test and really prefer the 67-marker test.  I am finding that quite often I need to have members go to 67 markers to better understand their results and how they compare to others.  Also, going ahead and getting the 67-marker test is cheaper that getting the 37-marker test and later upgrading to 67 markers.

Please contact me if you have any questions about the DNA testing.
Di Bumgardner Tarhalla
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 19 queries.