World Families Forums - KNAPP Genealogy - Problem Source

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 25, 2014, 08:53:58 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  KNAPP Genealogy - Problem Source
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: KNAPP Genealogy - Problem Source  (Read 1027 times)
gmam48

« on: January 14, 2008, 11:59:26 PM »

I have just posted my Lucius/Isaac Knapp descent and noted some earlier posts are in the same line.

I have a warning for those constructing Knapp lineages:

The AA Knapp book, Nicholas Knapp Genealogy, is rife with provable errors and inconsistencies that were known before publication.  AA Knapp, as underwriter, insisted on exercising control over what material was and was not included irrespective resulting inconsistencies. Boxes of working papers from the publication project were donated to the NYGB library and these include many notes from genealogist, Ezra Fred Knapp, pointing out errors that the compiler declined to correct. Many such are obvious on their face from the final text; others are not so evident.

One such error is the alleged prior descent for Lucius above through Zadock,  John, etc back to Nicholas Knapp

I have documented evidence that shows that Lucius must have been born well before the claimed ca 1762  in jcknapp pedigree and the AAK book.  AA Knapp collapsed 2 generations to make the Zadock connection “fit”.  It was Lucius Knapp Jr who was b. 1765 and he resided and d. 1801 in Essex Co NY (see Boston Transcript).

Another frequent assertion in Knapp family trees equates “Lucius” and “Luke” in the 1740’s  generation as in jcknapp pedigree. While this is a logical assumption, it is untrue – Lucius and Luke were different men, although contemporary and apparently closely related.  They resided in close proximity for some decades which encouraged the idea.  Substantial, although not readily available, evidence establishes unambiguously their separate identities. Indeed, the Amy Andrews who married Luke's son, Elihu Ketchum, may have been a stepdaughter of Lucius through his 2nd wife the widow Ruth Andrews.

One possibility I have not seen put forward  - Could Luke and Lucius have been “twins”?  Certainly twin births tend to be a heritable characteristic and my Knapp lineage has such a history,  including Lucius’ Abijah and Abiah by his second wife,. Any thoughts on that possibility?

Does any one have a viable  alternate parentage for Lucius since it cannot be Zadock, son of John?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 17 queries.