World Families Forums - Porter Ancestor Mobility and YDNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 10:26:02 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Porter (Moderator: Brian Porter)
| | | |-+  Porter Ancestor Mobility and YDNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Porter Ancestor Mobility and YDNA  (Read 1209 times)
wartrace

« on: December 31, 2007, 06:43:56 PM »

During 30 years spent on the "paper trail" of my Porter ancestry, I was constantly and painfully aware of the significant disruptions inserted in the paper trail by migratory moves. I think all too many of us, especially those of us who have maintained stable residences over a number of years, never cease to be amazed at the mobility of our 17th and 18th century ancestors.

My own ancestor, a 4th great-grandfather named Benjamin Porter b 1763, apparently left home in New England as a very young man. He went completely under the radar from the 1780's until he surfaced (indirectly I might add) in Georgia as a newlywed in 1804. His new wife was a first generation American of Irish descent, b in VA about 1778. By 1809-1810 Benjamin surfaced with his young family in a brand new county (Lincoln County) TN where he characteristically lived "under the radar" until his death there in 1828.

I stonewalled at him for 30 years. Had it not been for the stubborn insistence in documents handwritten by his grandson that Benjamin was of "English descent" and had been born in Boston in 1763, I still would be lost. Yet those same remarks led me to  the very CT family he belonged to...that and the very expensive price of a known and hard to get publication on that line. I wasn't going to "waste" that kind of money on a line I had no reason to believe I descended from. Thank God for the yDNA testing that provided a "leap" over that wall.

Since I discovered Benjamin's place in the larger CT family I have discovered material documentation on other family members that show an incredible mobility for the time. Through that material, the three New England Porter Progenitors I referred to in my New England Porters post are seen to be constantly on each other's turf and certainly aware of each other if not intermarrying. There were some from each Porter line who moved back and forth to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, in Canada. They didn't just go there and stay, but actually moved lock, stock, and barrel there and back, and sometimes back again.

I have discovered descendants of the John Porter of Windsor CT line in the most unlikely places. The moderator of one of the local county Rootsweb lists I have been subscribed to for years is a descendant of the same family. I have a yDNA match with a branch of that Porter line that was in NY, OH, IL, CO, CA, NM and back to VA, with children in TX and NY. Who knows where else?

My Porter ancestors moved from their initial MA landing site to CT, back to MA, then back to CT while other branches went to NY, VT, NH, OH, IL, MN and yes, even the odd one in or through PA. People from my local TN area in the very early 1800’s, who operated general merchandise stores, made roundtrips to Philadelphia for resupply and special orders in three weeks. To me, that's amazing! That says to me that they thought of these seemingly distant places as being within reach by reasonable transportation methods.

I guess what I am saying through a very rambling post is, never think small...never  any Porter family based on your own, possibly flawed, logic. That's what I did, and I could have done something other than genealogically "waste" 30 years. The "old folks" got around; I guess if they were courageous enough to set sail on the broad ocean for two months, a spin around the country by whatever means was small potatoes!

As valuable as it is, I still consider (as do most of the Porter men I encourage to take the yDNA test) DNA testing expensive. If I hadn't been "getting no younger" and frustrated, I might still be in musty courthouses, archives, and libraries....floundering.

I get two arguments (or excuses) when trying to recruit new Porter yDNA participants: 1) "It's too expensive" is by far the most often encountered, and 2) I'm afraid of "giving" my DNA to big companies." I suppose a 3rd excuse is, "I know I am not going to match anyone." Maybe we all secretly harbor the fear that the milkman may be our father. So far, I am completely unsuccessful at getting a single recruit, and my own yDNA match took the test only at his wife's behest.
wartrace

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 06:59:45 PM »

I don't know what it is with this message mechanism but it has defied me all day. I tried to post this message several times but "the mechanism" insisted on removing a word. FINALLY...I got it into the preview pane and I thought I had it licked! I went ahead and posted it at that point and, low and behold, when it posted that same word was missing again!

The presence or absence of that one word, "", alters the sentance to the point that it is esential for clear meaning. I'm gonna try and insert the paragraph WITH the word "" here for clarity since I can't force it in by hook or crook through normal function. If this doesn't work, go to the original post and mentally insert the word "" between the words, "those same remarks led me to", and the words, "the very CT family."

Here goes....

I stonewalled at him for 30 years. Had it not been for the stubborn insistence in documents handwritten by his grandson that Benjamin was of "English descent" and had been born in Boston in 1763, I still would be lost. Yet those same remarks led me to  the very CT family he belonged to...that and the very expensive price of a known and hard to get publication on that line. I wasn't going to "waste" that kind of money on a line I had no reason to believe I descended from. Thank God for the yDNA testing that provided a "leap" over that wall.

wartrace

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:04:22 PM »

I give up....

, , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wartrace

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:09:19 PM »

Okay PORTER Moderator, why does this system insist on capriciously deleting the word I am about to try and spell for you?????

d, i, s, c, o, u, n, t.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.