World Families Forums - Y-DNA and surnames, confused

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 11:31:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'C'
| | |-+  Cross (Moderator: crossAdmin)
| | | |-+  Y-DNA and surnames, confused
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Y-DNA and surnames, confused  (Read 31 times)
Mark Cross

« on: July 15, 2014, 06:42:07 PM »

I am confused, and hope someone can enlighten me.

My surname is Cross, and I have paper docs to trace this to the late 1700s.

I did the Y-67 and none of my matches have the surname Cross. I understand there may be a NPE to explain this. Can someone tell me more? My closest match is a genetic distance of 5 to 7 at 67 markers.

Our oral family history states that Cross used to be de la Croix. Legend says we originated in France, then left for Ireland, then came to America. This would have all happened before 1770, with the first birth in America of Cornelius Cross.

The Y-67 DNA test shows a LOT of Ireland; in fact, I am R-M269, a descendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages. So, Ireland seems to be somewhat confirmed. But, France, not so much, unless someone left Ireland and went to France, then later went back to Ireland. King Niall was in Ireland in the 5th Century AD.

However, it is rather disconcerting that no matches include Cross or even de la Croix.

Any ideas of explanation? My thoughts include either NPE or no one else in my line or distant line has been tested.

Just rather disappointed that no other Cross surnames match my DNA in a surname study...

Mark Cross
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:42:43 PM by Mark Cross » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.