World Families Forums - My Ancestor Sam/Samuel Steiner-Hungary

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 28, 2014, 01:19:27 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Steiner (Moderator: steinerAdmin)
| | | |-+  My Ancestor Sam/Samuel Steiner-Hungary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Ancestor Sam/Samuel Steiner-Hungary  (Read 1393 times)
sacredsisters3

« on: August 25, 2007, 07:53:32 PM »

Hello All

My paternal great-great-grandfather was Sam/Samuel Steiner from Hungary. He was born about 1862-65. He was married to Cecelia Spitzer also from Hungary. Sam immigrated about 1890-91, and Cecelia and two children Joseph & Theresa immigrated about 1892-93 to Manhattan, NY. I believe the child Joseph died soon after arriving, but have found no proof of that. The daughter theresa was my great-grandmother. They also had another son In 1895-96 named Erwin Steiner. Cecelia died about 1935 and Sam 1950, his son Erwin 1956 and Theresa(Steiner)Harris in 1974. Theresa married Myer Harris in 1910. Myer Harris from the 1930's-1960's owned a jewelry supply shop called M. Harris Jewlers on Canal Street in Manhattan. I believe Sam had a brother Adolph Steiner who also came to New york about the same time, but i can't pin him down. I do not know who Sam Steiner's parents were. According to his death record it just list the mothers first name as Mina.
steinecy

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 06:24:27 PM »

Hello

It surprises me to hear that your ancestors are originating from Hungary since the family name Steiner is rather of german origin, frequently found in Germany, Switzerland and Austria and is certainly not a traditional hungarian name. I would consider the possibility that the parents of your acestors from Hungary were not native Hungarians but rather immigrants from Austria (which was certainly not uncommon during the time of the Austrian-Hungarian Monarchy). So maybe you have to search for your ancestors on austrian genealogy pages.

With kind regards

Cyrill Steiner

(Switzerland)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 18 queries.