World Families Forums - MOVED: Timing of mutations - and poor explanations

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 07:11:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Special Forums - Note: You must be Logged In to Post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Questions and News Articles of the Week
| | |-+  MOVED: Timing of mutations - and poor explanations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MOVED: Timing of mutations - and poor explanations  (Read 1833 times)
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« on: June 05, 2007, 03:36:19 PM »

This topic has been moved to General Discussion.

http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=6375.0
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:19:33 PM »

Im now getting a "New Topic" button so Ill post again.

Although Im a scientist, Im finding it hard to work out what is going on in the literature which is jargon-filled with few explanations. For example it took me a long time to work out that haplotypes are based on simple binary markers called SNPs whereas what we are testing is SSRs (simple sequence repeats). As it's rarely explained anywhere, this made it hard initially for me to work out what familtreedna was talking about when it came to subclade testing.

Now my first question is - how do they know for example that haplotype B is descended from A and not the other way round? And how can they possibly time when the mutation occurred?

My second question relates to "microsatellites" and "minisatellites" which a number of papers are using to test recent human migration. Im inclined to think, after some research, that these are just another word for SSRs. Are they? And how can they be used to time various genetic events (such as whether various British DNA or communities came from Saxons or Romans) as some papers aver?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 18 queries.