World Families Forums - Cunninghams of Cellardyke

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 01:06:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'C'
| | |-+  Cunningham (Moderator: Mike Terry)
| | | |-+  Cunninghams of Cellardyke
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cunninghams of Cellardyke  (Read 1186 times)
hdw

« on: June 05, 2007, 05:22:23 AM »

As the vast majority of pedigrees posted here are American, a note about some Scottish Cunninghams may be of interest. The leading Scottish family of Cunninghams were from Ayrshire, on the west coast, but I share the ancestry of Pip who posted her Cunningham pedigree here in September 2005. We descend from Alexander Cunningham and Margaret Grieve who were married in Cellardyke, Fife, on the east coast of Scotland, in 1747. My Cunningham connection is through my paternal grandmother Jessie Horsburgh Cunningham who married my grandfather William Watson. My granny's younger sister Kate Cunningham married a professional golfer from St. Andrews called Harry Duff, and he is the man my dad and I were both called after. Harry and Kate settled in Nashville, Tennessee, where Harry was the golf pro at the local country club.

Pip persuaded a male relative called Cunningham to have his Y DNA tested, and it showed he was an R1a, hence of Scandinavian descent. I find this surprising, as I tested R1b, hence of Celtic descent. The Watsons and the Cunninghams lived for centuries in the same small Scottish fishing-village, intermarrying in different generations, and I would have thought they would have had more or less identical DNA. It just goes to show that although the fisherfolk married into each others' families and are all cousins of some kind to each other, at the deeper genetic level they may still have different ancestry.

Harry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.