World Families Forums - A Puckett in my ancestry

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 09:52:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Puckett (Moderator: puckettAdmin)
| | | |-+  A Puckett in my ancestry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Puckett in my ancestry  (Read 2037 times)
PDHOTLEN

« on: May 28, 2007, 08:37:03 PM »

Retouched: 1/11/09 & 8/14/09

I recently discovered, via a death certificate of my mother's mother, that her mother's maiden name was PUCKETT; i.e. Melinda (Minnie) Elinor Puckett was my great-grandmother. My grandmother Alma pronounced "Puckett" with the accent on the last syllable, making it sound more like "Paquette."

Minnie was given as born 1862 in Indiana. Although I have no proof, circumstantial evidence suggests that her father was Henry Linville Puckett. If, as is very likely, he was Minnie's father, then her mother was her Nancy E. Wheeldon. Henry was given as born about 1821, Ohio; Nancy was born about 1835 in Indiana. They had several children, listed as born in Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin. Henry had a previous wife (Elizabeth Comer) in Indiana, with children. Henry, Nancy, and their own children, settled in Richland County, Wisconsin. Melinda (Minnie) married Charles Leonard Greene, who also had a previous wife. They had seven daughters in neighboring Crawford County, WI. There is still a rather remote possibility that Melinda belonged to another Puckett family, although I can find no "paper trail" of such a scnario. Apparently Charles Greene (Melinda's husband), Henry Puckett and Cornelius Puckett were blacksmiths, at least in part.

The weak link in my maternal line is the Nancy Wheeldon connection. Her father, James, came from Kentucky. Her mother was Selah Falconbury/Falconberry, daughter of Jacob and Charity (unknown last name). Selah Falconbury/Falconberry was burried with her maiden name on the headstone, in the same cemetary as her father Jacob, in Indiana. Selah was born 1802 in South Carolina. http://www.falconberry.com/

My interest in this line of inquiry is to trace my maternal mtDNA, the surnames changing at each generation. It looks like it would trace back to colonial North Carolina > Virginia and England before that.

Henry Puckett's children (1870 Census): Joseph(1852,IN), George(1854,IN), Letty(1857,IN), Cornelius(1860,IN-1901,WI;blacksmith;died of heart attack), "Malinda"(1862,IN), Sarah(1864,IA), Mary(1867,IA), and Jenne(1869,WI).

Note: I was unsuccessful in requesting Melinda's death certificate; was told that there is no record. If any Puckett descendant knows about her, I would be grateful for information concerning her.

Philip Hotlen
U5b2(11653G) & R1a1a (Family Tree DNA; ISOGG tree)
Mitosearch access ID: G986T; FTDNA kit #54319.
------------------------------------
7/7/07

It appears that Henry L. Puckett had two wives and two different broods. The only apparent connecting link between the two families is Mariah(abt 1845,IN), daughter of his first wife Elizabeth (1850 census,IN). None of his first wife's children seem to live with Henry and Nancy in Wisconsin (1870 census). Mariah was the wife of John R. Smith of Crawford County, WI., with whom Melinda's daughter Minnie Greene (1892) resided after Melinda's apparent death (1910 census,WI), after the Greene daughters were scattered to live with various relatives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sep 15 '08

Henry Linville Puckett(b.1820, Ohio) > James > Thomas > Isom> Womack > William > John(b.1619; Oxford, England) > Henry Puckett(b.1590, Oxford, UK; d.1600, Virginia).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aug 14 '09

After browsing around again at Ancestry.com, it looks like only Melinda (Minnie), Sarah, Mary and Jenne were children of Nancy Wheeldon; and possibly Cornelius, depending on when in 1860 he was born. All the other children with Henry L. Puckett as father were by Elizabeth Comer (first wife), and I did not mention all of them shown on a census or other trees. Sarah and Mary were born in Iowa, and went with their parents to Wisconsin. Jenne was born in Wisconsin.
-------------------------------
Aug 17 '09

Any and all female descendants of Nancy (Wheeldon) Puckett should have my U5b2, or U5 when not tested for the FGS, mitochondrial haplotype. Otherwise, I am wrong about my maternal line family tree.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:44:26 PM by PDHOTLEN » Logged

U5b2/U5b2b2 (traces to colonial USA European) & R1a1a1 L664+ (Norwegian descent); X chromosome (not tested) = half Austrian and half Colonial USA. FTDNA kit #54319. Genebank EF419891. MitoSearch/Y-Search #G986T.

J Cat

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »

Hello my maiden name was Puckett, I'm in iowa,  My grandfather was james oscar puckett.  My grandmother Betty Jane (Tims) Puckett social security card was issued in ohio.  seems like she was from either tenn or va.  Gram d.o.b. was Nov 06, 1902
PDHOTLEN

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:21:23 AM »

Hello J. Cat,

My Henry Pucket must be the brother of Thomas Puckett (b.1816,Ohio), since they both have the same Parents (James Puckett, b.1788,NC & Margaret Lynville/Linville, b.1792,NC). One source shows Thomas with 5 different wives, and two of them named Nancy.The 1880 Kansas census has Nancy, with several children, but no James Oscar. Another source (LDS) shows Matilda Dickey, b.1815, Ohio, as first wife, with several children. And spouse #2 (no name) with a few children, one source shows Oscar, b.1879, and others show James Oscar Puckett as the son of Matilda, but no birth date or about 1850 in Indiana. There are a couple of private trees that I did not try to contact. I hope you have your own info to fill it in.

My Charles Greene (b.1840,IN), future husband of Minnie Puckett, was also in Kansas for the 1880 census (with first wife Clara). Also, Henry Puckett was in Indiana about the same time as Thomas. So it looks like the two brothers were together, with C. Greene bumping into them after the Civil War. C. Greene fought in the Civil War, but apparently the Puckett brothers were too old. The Pucketts apparently came from Quaker stock back in VA, Grayson County being mentioned.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:55:05 PM by PDHOTLEN » Logged

U5b2/U5b2b2 (traces to colonial USA European) & R1a1a1 L664+ (Norwegian descent); X chromosome (not tested) = half Austrian and half Colonial USA. FTDNA kit #54319. Genebank EF419891. MitoSearch/Y-Search #G986T.

gpucket

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:48:45 PM »

Sep 15 '08

Henry Linville Puckett(b.1820, Ohio) > James > Thomas > Isom> Womack > William > John(b.1619; Oxford, England) > Henry Puckett(b.1590, Oxford, UK; d.1600, Virginia).

PDHOTLEN
Does your Puckett line have a Y-DNA profile posted to this site under the Puckett DNA study???
Gary Puckett
PDHOTLEN

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:53 AM »

Sep 15 '08

PDHOTLEN
Does your Puckett line have a Y-DNA profile posted to this site under the Puckett DNA study???
Gary Puckett

March 2nd:
So much time has passed that I don't remember the details of my searching for my roots.  Y-DNA had nothing to do with my connection to the Puckett line, since it is on my maternal side. It doesn't even have a connection to my mtDNA haplotype (U5b2), although mine undoubtedly came from England. The first time I even knew of a Puckett connection was when I  asked my grandmother, decades ago, what her mother's maiden name was.  That got me to wondering. I have a HVR1+HVR2 mtDNA match (rare for me) that goes back to Jamestowne, VA. Although it looks like that tree should connect with mine, I can't connect the dots. My earliest known female ancestor with that match goes back to North Carolina (born 1760).

Oops. Well of course my U5b2 haplotype passed through the Henry Linville Puckett line. Any female descendents of his second wife, Nancy Wheeldon, would have it. But it is dead end with me and my sister.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:17:06 AM by PDHOTLEN » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 19 queries.