World Families Forums - ADAM DE WEDALE IN STOW IN MIDLOTHIAN

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 11:25:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'W'
| | |-+  Waddell (Moderator: Terry Barton )
| | | |-+  ADAM DE WEDALE IN STOW IN MIDLOTHIAN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ADAM DE WEDALE IN STOW IN MIDLOTHIAN  (Read 3423 times)
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: May 24, 2007, 11:28:34 AM »

I received the following request from Edwin Waddill.  Terry

HAVE ABOUT 10 DIFFERENT COAT OF ARMS FOR WADDILL THEY ALL STATE THE SAME FACTS THE EARLIEST IN ADAM DE WEDALE IN STOW IN MIDLOTHIAN A OUTLAW OF KING JOHN 1 1207.  I AM TRYING SO HARD TO FIND EARLIER INFORMATION ON HIM AND HIS NORMAN ROOTS ANYTHING WOULD BE VERY BENEFICIAL..CAN YOU HELP ME...CONNECT ME TO SOMEONE WHO WOULD KNOW THIS...IVE TRIED EVERYONE.

Edwin 
(email to lindagregg13 AT hotmail dot com -- replace the space-AT- space with @ and the space-dot-space with a period)
stanrig

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 03:46:30 PM »

This quotation from my Short History of the Waddells of Scotland:
Origins
The Waddells of Scotland take their name from Wedale, the old name for the parish of Stow in Midlothian.  The Stow of Wedale was the private domain of the Archbishop of Saint Andrews, the Primate of Scotland, who from an early date had his summer palace there.

Medieval references
The early bearers of the name were either Norman or Celts who had taken on Norman customs – or more probably, taking into account modern heraldic scholarship, Flemish .  Those who were recorded were for the most part eminent churchmen and we know their names from the charters that they signed – Gilis de Wedala c 1175 , Adam de Wedale1204 , Thomas de Wedale was canon of St. Andrews 1280 , Laurence de Wedale rendered homage to Edward I of England and signed the “ragman’s-roll”, the roll   in which the Scottish nobility and gentry subscribed allegiance to Edward I in1296 , Simon de Wedale, Abbot of Holyrood, Edinburgh and later  Bishop of Galloway 1296-1355 , Roger de Wedale Canon of Dunblane 1312-1321, Sir Thomas de Wedalle, Knight of Scotland c.1372 , Henry de Wedale, ‘the Duke of Albany’s man’1401, James of Wedale, the King’s Macer 1403, Sir Robert of Wedale, Master of Works at Linlithgow Palace later Abbot of Culross and famous schismatic 1424-41, Agnes de Wedale, Prioress of Manuel  1442, John Weddell (called de Weddale Vedal,Weddell and Waddell at different points in his career) the Parson of Flisk and one of the first Lords of Session 1508-40 and as Lord Flisk was rector of St. Andrews University and one of the judges at the trial of Patrick Hamilton.
I am researching and writing on this subject in much more depth in my forthcoming book but most of it is still very much in draft form and needs further verification from
contemporary documents.
Do hope this is of some help.
Gavin Main Waddell
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 18 queries.