World Families Forums - Caleb Travis

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 10:03:44 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'T'
| | |-+  Travis (Moderator: Larry Travis)
| | | |-+  Caleb Travis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caleb Travis  (Read 1216 times)
Donna25

« on: May 19, 2007, 12:28:26 PM »

Does any Travis researcher know for sure the parentage of Caleb Travis who died in Ontario in 1848???

He was born 30 Jan 1773  Westchester Co. NY and died 28 Dec 1848  Glen Williams, Esquesing Township, Halton County, Gore District, Upper Canada  His burial was recorded with his second wife Sarah Hodgkins in the Greenwood Cemetery, Halton County, Gore District, Ontario, Canada.

Caleb's first wife Susan Merritt, b 25 Feb 1778 in Fishkill, Dutchess County, NY and died giving birth to their 14th child on 06 Dec 1817,  is my husband's line through their son Moses Travis (13 Feb 1803 - 25 Feb 1853) who was born and died in South Grimsby Township, Lincoln County, Ontario, Canada

I am pretty sure that the parents of Caleb Travis who settled in Grandville, Annapolis County, Nova Scotia are not the parents of our Caleb.  Caleb Travis of Nova Scotia received a grant of  land as a Loyalist in 1784, and our Caleb was too young (11 yrs old) to have been able to prove to anyone he was of age to get a grant of land.

One researcher I have run across has the father of our Caleb as Titus Travis.  Some others say definitely no to Titus being the father.  Could it be possible that Titus is the father but the family completely disowned Caleb as he travelled to Canada with the loyalist Joseph Merritt to be able to marry his daughter Susan.   The birth year of Caleb being 1773 would fill in a blank of the Titus Travis family tree without any conflicts so it could be possible.

Donna Fortman
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 18 queries.