World Families Forums - More Samples

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:27:39 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'D'
| | |-+  Dugger (Moderator: Ralph Dugger)
| | | |-+  More Samples
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More Samples  (Read 1687 times)
Jim Dugger

« on: May 11, 2007, 12:51:10 AM »

Ok, we need more samples. My interpretation (keeping in mind that I hardly have a clue) of the current results could stand what we think we know on it's "ear". This is with limited samples. I have emailed Ralph and Marty Grant who know more than I do.
I am going to start telephoning Duggers state by state :)
Ralph Dugger

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:46:42 PM »

Good idea!!

Ralph
cliffsheets

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:14:14 AM »

Sound like a shot in the dark. You might want to consider asking them first if they have any interest in Genealogy or have done any Genealogy research. A DNA test without a pedigree chart is useless, in my opinion.

Here's an idea. SMGF travels around to different cities having family history fairs. They are having one in Richmond Virginia May 16-19, 2007 - http://www.eshow2000.com/ngs/2007/ . Start with calling the Duggers in Richmond Virginia and encouraging them to go and while there visit the SMGF booth. They can submit a sample and their 4+ generation pedigree chart. Then you can call them back after the fair and see if they want to join your surname project.

Here are other locations:

Pocotello, Idaho - May 19
Ottawa, Ontario - June 1-2, 2007
Burbank, California - June 8-10, 2007

http://www.smgf.org/events.jspx#Event81
Here's a current list of events as of  May 15, 2007.
Jim Dugger

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »

Agreed. Of course we will ask for pedigrees; we already have an extensive database. It is essential to establish the paper trail.
In this particular instance, we have essentially defined 3 Dugger families, from the DNA.
 One from the relationship between Daniel's son Henry and his implied brother William...as expected.
 One from the out of wedlock offspring of Lurany. John "Surry" Dugger and his implied brother Alexander....as expected (good ol' Marty Grant).
 One from John Sr., the other "son" of Daniel and "brother" to William and Henry.
The results here are totally UNEXPECTED. The DNA has matched, in some cases with a 0 genetic distance at 67 markers, a family that should not be there in a YDNA database. William Dugger of Brodnax was the real "kicker" here
as his paternal pedigree strayed from the others at the sons of John Sr., indicating a very early divergence.
To try to establish absolutely WHERE in time this occurred, we need more samples from the John Sr. line.

More samples, with pedigrees could;
 reinforce the Henry/William,and possibly Benjamin connections
 reinforce the John "Surry"/Alexander line
 possibly introduce a heretofore unknown Dugger family
 ....but mostly for me, I am curious about John Sr...because it's a mystery! 

Ralph Dugger

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:19:57 PM »

It just goes without saying that you will find out pretty quick when you call someone if they have an interest in genealogy.  And I do think DNA results can have a lot to do with finding your ancestors, assuming an interest is there.  It certainly can point the way in traditional research.  I would never discourage anyone from testing with SMGF.  Their tests are free I believe but they only test for 12 markers as I recall.  I'm not real sure why you would want to test with them and turn right around and test with our Surname project though.  A person could, of course, get a lot of information about DNA testing for genealogical purposes by attending their fair.

I am starting to add analysis of the DNA Results to the Dugger Surname Project Discussion Page.  It will become more complete and, hopefully informative as we get more DNA Results.  The John Dugger, Sr. line is indeed a mystery and those of us who have been tested match a McClain family whose ancestors lived in the Brunswick/Surry County area from the period c1720 on.  The connection is most likely there but is the connection John, Sr. himself or his sons?  More DNA testing and traditional research is needed.

Jim, a small correction.  John (Surry) and Alexander are the illegitimate children of Lydia Dugger, daughter of Daniel and Mary Scarborough Dugger.  Lurany was the daughter of John, Sr. and, I believe your connection to the John, Sr. family. It was her daughter, I think who married into the Henry Dugger family.

Appreciate all you're doing.  Thanks.

Ralph
Jim Dugger

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »

oops, I knew that as you see from other posts..I must be having a brain salad today. hehe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 20 queries.