World Families Forums - Poll: Do you feel you know enough about how to do genealogy?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 11:08:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Poll: Do you feel you know enough about how to do genealogy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poll: Do you feel you know enough about how to do genealogy?  (Read 1231 times)
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« on: April 25, 2007, 11:13:54 AM »

Our website is focused on helping people use DNA to further their genealogy research.  However, I was wondering how comfortable most of you felt with the basic genealogy to start with.  At some unspecified point in the future, we'd like to create a whole section of the website to help you out.  Ideally, since we have so many other priorities, we could find a knowledgeable WorldFamilies.net member to help us develop and maintain these new pages.

So, do you feel that you know what tools are available to you?  Do you have a pretty good grasp of all the genealogy techniques?  Do you want to learn more?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 12:14:16 PM by Biscuits » Logged
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »

If there are any specific areas that you want help on
OR
You want to volunteer to help us create a guide for new genealogists
OR
You have anything else relevant to add to this discussion

Please post a response.
Rapp

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:38:26 PM »

I think many "part-timers" like myself understand the tools required to do quality genealogical work, but we do not always exhibit the discipline to do properly document observations and the results of research.  That is the issue, or the problem with genealogy.

Furthermore, I believe that most extensive family trees have some pretty glaring errors (misrepresentations) should the truth be known, despite the best efforts of conscientious genealogical researchers.  I am certain that newly discovered DNA information is wreaking havoc with long-established genealogical work.

In my opinion, what we politely call "unannounced adoptions" are far more common than traditional "old school" genealogists ever suspected.  In fact, some of these folks no doubt assess tremendous importance and value to their perceived genetic descent.  I suspect that some amateur genealogists with extensive family trees want no part of DNA analyses.  My own DNA-genealogical journey over the past year has been eye-opening and thought provoking.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 17 queries.