World Families Forums - New to Genealogy DNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 12, 2014, 08:18:27 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  New to Genealogy DNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to Genealogy DNA  (Read 941 times)
henrykin

« on: April 17, 2007, 01:05:55 PM »

I am very new to using DNA testing in my genealogy research.  My question is:  My mother divorced my father when I was only month old.  I never knew my birth father and don't want to know anything about him.  I am interested in my mothers ancestors. After doing a surname search, all the results are for the father's line.  How can I use DNA for researching my mother's line?  I told you I was new to all this.
Henrykin
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 02:04:36 AM »

There are two ways that you can go at this.

1. You can do a mtDNA test.  Mitochondrial DNA is passed down from mother to child, so this type of testing is useful for determining your maternal pedigree (mother's mother's mother) as well as discovering your "deep ancestry" (where your ancestors lived thousands of years ago).  Unfortunately, it is often quite hard to follow maternal ancestry back more than a few generations, because women change their names upon marriage or remarriage and paperwork is very confusing.  Genealogists are still learning how exactly to fit mtDNA tests into their research.

To order an mtDNA test, go here

2. I would recommend ordering a Y-DNA (Surname) test.  This is the same test that you've already done, but, to get information on a different branch of your family, you'd need to sponsor having a male relative in that branch get tested for you.  For instance, if you wanted to learn about your mother's paternal line, you could get a maternal uncle tested.

To order a Y-DNA test, go here
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:06:56 AM by Biscuits » Logged
henrykin

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 09:01:30 AM »

Thanks Buscuit for the information.  I can now proceed with my DNA test.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 17 queries.