World Families Forums - info to management

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 09:31:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Mitochondrial DNA
| | |-+  info to management
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: info to management  (Read 1546 times)
sharon228

« on: April 15, 2007, 02:13:19 AM »

I would like to see if I have cherokee which is on my fathers side.  I am a female so does that mean I would need to have my brother tested?  Also my daughter would have to have her brother tested for her fathers dna.  My question is how can you tell if they have the same father?  which they do but that seems a little odd.  thanks  I also am from the canute or cornett group but I believe my ancestor was John. one of the seven brothers.  I am not possitive.  I do know he came from southampton.  their was a marriage with a strong on a reservation.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:18:46 AM by sharon228 » Logged
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »

Hi Sharon.   You have to use exactly the correct descendancy when you use dna for research. 

yDNA passes from father to son.  Women never have it.  A yDNA (surname) research is for the father's-father's ... father's paternal line of the man being tested.  There can be no woman in the ancestry between the man your are testing and the ancestor of interest.

mtDNA passes from mother to child.  Men have it, but cannot pass it on.  A mtDNA research is for the mother's-mother's ... mother's maternal line.  The only place that a man can be in the sequence between the participant and the ancestor of interest is as participant.  If you connect through a male ancestor to get to the ancestor of interest (ie the Native American) it won't work.  You need to find a living descendant whose mother's mother's ... is the ancestor of interest.

There is more info in our Frequently Asked Questions:

http://worldfamilies.net/faqs.html

Terry
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 03:41:05 PM by terry » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 17 queries.