World Families Forums - Pennsylvania Porters

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2014, 10:16:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Porter (Moderator: Brian Porter)
| | | |-+  Pennsylvania Porters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pennsylvania Porters  (Read 2757 times)
rwporter

« on: March 15, 2007, 02:16:09 PM »

I haven't seen much activity in the Porter surname project over the past year.  You would think with so many Porters in the world there would be a lot more going on, but maybe they are like me and have a lot to do offline.  I haven't made a lot of progress over the last year in my own research so I thought I might post two messages I've put on GenForum over the past year to see if it might stir up some new information.

In March of 2006 I posted:

The Porter ancestor that I can trace the furthest back is Isaac Porter who was living in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania in 1800 and presumably for a while prior to that. The information I have is that he was born in the U.S. and was of Scotch-Irish ancestry. I don't know where he was born but my first guess would be somewhere in Pennsylvania. Scotch-Irish ancestry suggests that his family came from Northern Ireland and before that either Scotland or England.

I decided to get DNA testing done because I couldn't find any more information on the family. I will admit that I haven't gone to Pennsylvania to research records; my excuses are time and/or money. I had the 12 marker test done and then later expanded it to 37 markers. As of today, 03/03/06, there are over 300 people on Family Tree DNA that share my 12 markers; not one of them is named Porter! I also checked with the Sorenson DNA database and the closest I come to any Porter DNA is a difference of 6 or so markers. I did match a 25 marker listing in Sorenson for last name Scott. On FTDNA on 37 markers I am 3 off from a listing for Johnson and a listing for Moffitt. Apparently the Johnstone and Scott clans in Scotland were neighbors on the border with England. I am unsure what to think now. My ancestors wintered in Northern Spain during the last glacial maximum, but what they did after that is beyond me! I'm not even sure I'm a Porter anymore (although I guess the Johnsons/Johnstons/Johnstones could actually be Porters...)

Then a few days ago in March 2007 I posted:

It's been about a year since I reported on my DNA tests so I thought I'd give a short update on my Porter DNA situation. There are now 520 people on Family Tree DNA that share my 12 markers; not one of them is named Porter. For the 25 marker test there are 40 who share at least 23 markers or more; none is named Porter. Those with exact matches are named Johnson, Riddle and Riddell. Those one off from my markers are: Duncan (2), Monach, Hill, Moffitt, Little (3), and MacKeen. Those who are two off from my 25 markers are: Young, Dearie, Smallwood, Cotton, Meyer, Lawrence, Clark, Wilson (3), Klippenstein, Williams, Lauria, Davis, Burnham, Henry, Richardson, Davidson, Russell, Poore, McKeen, Thomson, Younger, McKain, Gibbons, McCarter, and Walls.

The only additional historical documentation I have found about my ancestry is that the father (not named) of my earliest ancestor named Porter arrived in America from Ireland in the early 1750's.

Based on what I have found trying to check on the DNA of other Porter families, it appears I am not similar to the Porter families from MA who came from south eastern England. The one Johnson mentioned above is three off from my markers when considering 67 markers (which is pretty darn close for someone with a different name). Also, I have what appears to be a very unusual value of 19 for my YCA II b marker. This trait is very common in the McCain (and various other spellings) families of Ulster and of the Henry and McHenry (and other spellings) also of Ulster. There are a number of markers that I do not share with these families that seem to me to indicate a split from my line before these families developed. This value of 19 will probably end up as some sort of indicator for a population existing a vary long time ago. There seem to be a number of different surnames containing a member with this value, but aside from the McCains and Henrys few surnames have more than one or two members like this. (My guess is that it may indicate a population in early northwestern England, but this is just an uninformed guess since I really know little about these things).

As it turns out, there is a book concerning one group of Porters from Pennsylvania which states that there was a Porter family in Cumberland, England, that had members who would occasionally settle in Ireland, and they did this all through the medieval period and later. I think it also suggested that the Porters in Cumberland were a branch of the ones in the southeast of England. I also found another reference, on the Web, with some genealogical information about Porters in Cumberland which suggested that the Porter name may have been given because they were gatekeepers for the city of Carlisle. Carlisle is about 25 - 35 miles away from areas in Dumfries, Scotland, which were the lands of the Johnstones (Johnston, Johnson, etc.), Moffats, Riddells, Littles, Scotts, and others. It turns out that the Porter genealogy of Cumberland mentions one Porter who participated in a raid into Scotland in the 1540's which went on from something like June through November. This might have been a good opportunity to spread some genes to their neighbors to the north. (I'm not sure how this might fit into my line since the men in my direct line all the way back to Isaac born in 1760 never served in the military and seem to usually have been very introverted. They tended not to marry until 30 years old or later but the early generations did have lots and lots of kids and they almost always made it into their 80’s, except for Isaac who only made it to 79 and 8 months.) My house is a mess right now so I don't have my documentation at hand but you should be able to find the Cumberland info using Google; also, in that group, the name Lancelot Porter shows up pretty early, I believe.

So at this point I have a number of interesting bits of info but I haven't been able to connect them yet. I suspect, based on Porters showing up in the same place at the same time (such as members of two previously unconnected lines showing up in Ripley, Ohio, in 1818 for example), that my line of Porters is connected to the Armstrong Porter and Charles Porter lines of Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and that these are probably connected to the Porters who first settled in Cecil County Maryland in the 1720's or 1730's with Ewing families and others. At this point I might suspect that these Porter families were all connected in Northern Ireland and perhaps to the Porters in Cumberland. This is, of course, all speculation.

There seem to be very few Porters getting their DNA tested. I do not believe that I have found any Porters from these Fayette County or Cecil County Porters who have had their DNA tested. Likewise, I do not believe that I have seen any from Cumberland, England, either. I have seen at least one from Northern Ireland whose markers do not match mine, so there was some variety there. It could turn out that I do not match any of these groups of Porters, but I don't know yet. We'll just have to wait and see.
jporter5408

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:43:25 PM »

I am just in the process of testing but can offer this. My Grandfather James Reed Porter was born in Pa. 1899, I have to go back and look to see what county or city. I do have a copy of the 1923 Census in Washington, DC showing my whole Porter side residing there.

Good Luck
wartrace

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:00:02 AM »

The lack of activity here is exactly the reason I haven't been active on this forum myself. Sadly, I guess inactivity breeds more inactivity. I have also been dismayed at the small numbers Porters getting tested. I'm not really sure there aren't several being tested so much as they seem to be tested and joining other projects aside from the surname project.

I still need to sit down and update my entry on the Patriarchs Page. When I first received my yDNA test results there were no matches at all. Then about 4 months later I got a match with Edwin Arnold "Arnie" Porter. He tested 67 markers and I only tested 37. Out of the 37, we matched on 35 giving us a genetic distance of 2. Since then I have upgraded to 67 markers myself, and just received those results prior to Christmas. Arnie and I now match 64 of 67 pushing us to a genetic distance of 3, still leaving open the possibility of a Recent Common Ancestor within a genealogical timeframe. Arnie's earliest known ancestor was born in CT and, though I was aware of them, I had always discounted that line. My Ancestor as it turns out, Benjamin Porter, was born in Boston but his ancestry was actually of CT origin. Some quick research placed my Benjamin in that line.

I can certainly see how it is possible not to have a match with the Porter surname yet, as no Porter of your lineage may have tested. Your theory of someone of other yDNA lineage taking the surname Porter is a distinct possibility. Such close matches with other surnames may seem to raise a red flag, but a Porter of your line may yet test and match you.

Until Arnie Porter tested and matched me, I wasn't sure that I didn't belong to the milkman. If and when the match comes, it is reassuring to say the least. There are so many reasonable scenarios that may leave a person matching a surname other than the one he bears.

I have been encouraging a lot of Porters to be tested, even when I am certain we do not share yDNA, but so far I have been completely unsuccessful. Maybe when prices come down and people become more aware, understanding the science, there will be greater numbers of participants. People in general, and men in particular, harbor some suspicions about how this science can be used.

jayfredcarsonjr

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:13:21 PM »

My Surname is Carson, Jay Fred Jr.   jayfcarson@gmail.com

I am posting this just to provide and record this information for Porter Future Use.

My Great Grandmother was a Porter of SouthWestern PA = Mary LeaNora Porter.  Washington County, City of Bentleyville, Fallowship Township.  Buried in Carson Family Cemetery (**) named Maple Creek Cemetery Located off first Exit East of Bentleyville Exit  of Interstate 70.

James Porter  (no other Info)
.....Hiram Porter** d1935 Ida Walker** d1940
jayfredcarsonjr

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »

My Surname is Carson, Jay Fred Jr.   jayfcarson@gmail.com

I am posting this just to provide and record this information for Porter Families Future Use.

My Great Grandmother was a Porter of SouthWestern PA = Mary LeaNora Porter.  Washington County, City of Bentleyville, Fallowship Township.  Buried in Carson Family Cemetery (**) named Maple Creek Cemetery Located off first Exit East of Bentleyville Exit  of Interstate 70.

James Porter  (no other Info)
.....Hiram Porter** d1935 Ida Walker** d1940
...........Mary LeaNora Porter** bNov 22 1886 dMar 23, 1970 mMar 2 1906 Jesse Frederick Carson** bDec 18, 1883 dJun 12 1972
..................Jesse Frederick Carson Jr.  went by J. Fred** 1909-1993
.......................Jay Fred Carson 1934-2003
............................Jay Fred Carson Jr. b1960

More detail of my Carson family can be found under Carson Nordic C-3

Hope this helps someone, God's Speed and good hunting......

jporter5408

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:32:18 AM »

thank you and I am looking back as this maybe a link!

retropfrank

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »

You are quite right about the need for more Porters to have their DNA tested. Everyone should realize that in the absence of historical documents, this test may be the only way of identifying your ancestors.

My DNA test indicated that I am a distance of one marker from Andrew Paxton Porter who was born in Londonderry, Ohio in 1819.  His descendants moved on to Kansas, and I have been in touch with them.  Unfortunately, there are very few historical documents to help identity Andrew Paxton Porter's ancestors.  The only clue is that his parents were Archibald Porter who married Polly Paxton.  Andrew married Mary Jane Cunningham. Their son was William Archibald Porter.

There is a strong possibility that William and Hugh Porter are Andrew's ancestors. William and Hugh emigrated from Londonderry, Ireland in the mid-1700s and settled in southeastern Pennsylvania.  They later moved to North Carolina, but Hugh moved on to Charleston, South Carolina. William crossed the border and settled in Grayson County, Virginia.

And that is where the records stop. Is anyone familiar with Andrew Paxton Porter, William and Hugh Porter, or Archibald Porter?  Answers to these questions will unlock doors for other Porter lines.
jtracy2011

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »

Yes, I am familiar with the names Hugh Porter and Archibald Porter.  Hugh was a SC resident, and an Archibald Porter migrated from SC through AL to MS, where he died in the mid-1800s.  Archie, as he was known, was first married to Susan Morrison and second to Anne Traweek (Trawick.) I am descended from the SC Porters, through Samuel Porter, b. 1799 in SC, who was married to Mary Middleton, b. 1802 in SC, and I have posted results of yDNA testing for one of Samuel's Porter male descendants. Maybe we can find a common link to our Porter families here.  Also, I believe that Samuel Porter was a descendant of Lancelot (known as Landlot)  Porter who arrived with John Porter and Shadrack Porter in the MS Territory before Mississippi's statehood. One of Landlot's sons, also named Landlot, was married to Winnie Palmer and is buried in Hinds Co. Mississippi in a private cemetery known as the Fortson-Porter Cemetery.  You can read more about this cemetery and my Porter ancestry, including more about the names included in this post, on my blogs, Mississippi Memories (www. mymississippimemories.blogspot.com and Cemeteries of Dancing Rabbit Creek (www.cemeteriesofdancingrabbitcreek.blogspot.com.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:11:22 PM by jtracy2011 » Logged

Janice Tracy
retropfrank

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:51:47 PM »

Yes, I am familiar with the names Hugh Porter and Archibald Porter.  Hugh was a SC resident, and an Archibald Porter migrated from SC through AL to MS, where he died in the mid-1800s.  Archie, as he was known, was first married to Susan Morrison and second to Anne Traweek (Trawick.) I am descended from the SC Porters, through Samuel Porter, b. 1799 in SC, who was married to Mary Middleton, b. 1802 in SC, and I have posted results of yDNA testing for one of Samuel's Porter male descendants. Maybe we can find a common link to our Porter families here.  Also, I believe that Samuel Porter was a descendant of Lancelot (known as Landlot)  Porter who arrived with John Porter and Shadrack Porter in the MS Territory before Mississippi's statehood. One of Landlot's sons, also named Landlot, was married to Winnie Palmer and is buried in Hinds Co. Mississippi in a private cemetery known as the Fortson-Porter Cemetery.  You can read more about this cemetery and my Porter ancestry, including more about the names included in this post, on my blogs, Mississippi Memories (www.

mymississippimemories.blogspot.com and Cemeteries of Dancing Rabbit Creek (www.cemeteriesofdancingrabbitcreek.blogspot.com.)
Yes, I am familiar with the names Hugh Porter and Archibald Porter.  Hugh was a SC resident, and an Archibald Porter migrated from SC through AL to MS, where he died in the mid-1800s.  Archie, as he was known, was first married to Susan Morrison and second to Anne Traweek (Trawick.) I am descended from the SC Porters, through Samuel Porter, b. 1799 in SC, who was married to Mary Middleton, b. 1802 in SC, and I have posted results of yDNA testing for one of Samuel's Porter male descendants. Maybe we can find a common link to our Porter families here.  Also, I believe that Samuel Porter was a descendant of Lancelot (known as Landlot)  Porter who arrived with John Porter and Shadrack Porter in the MS Territory before Mississippi's statehood. One of Landlot's sons, also named Landlot, was married to Winnie Palmer and is buried in Hinds Co. Mississippi in a private cemetery known as the Fortson-Porter Cemetery.  You can read more about this cemetery and my Porter ancestry, including more about the names included in this post, on my blogs, Mississippi Memories (www. mymississippimemories.blogspot.com and Cemeteries of Dancing Rabbit Creek (www.cemeteriesofdancingrabbitcreek.blogspot.com.)
Thank you for responding to my post. Can you tell me how to access your YDNA results? I would like to see how closely we are connected. I have found quite a bit of information about Andrew Paxton Porter and his descendants and ancestors. I look forward to hearing from you.

Frank
Janice Tracy

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 12:21:25 PM »

To retropfrank: You can access yDNA information for a descendant of Samuel Porter at www.worldfamilies.net, under "Patriarchs."

jtracy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 19 queries.