World Families Forums - Looking for my U5b2 ancestors

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 02:55:45 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  MtDNA Projects
| | |-+  mt-U5 (Moderator: U5admin)
| | | |-+  Looking for my U5b2 ancestors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for my U5b2 ancestors  (Read 2348 times)
PDHOTLEN

« on: March 09, 2007, 04:12:41 AM »

Putting pieces of the puzzle together:

My HVR1 results have only two mutations: 16270 & 16519. One problem with that is, haplogroup H has lots of HVR1 samples with the exact same results. That is called "parallelism." And the 228A in my HVR2 is a puzzlement. If you look at my HVR2 by itself, you would probably say my haplogroup is U5b3!

HVR1: 16270T & 16519C
HVR2: 73G, 150T, 228A, 263G, 309.1C, 315.1C

My maternal gr-grandparents were Charles Leonard Green(e), born about 1840,Indiana and Melinda PUCKETT, born about 1862,Indiana. Charles's father William Ball Green was born 1800, in Baltimore, MD. The middle name Ball raises the question of biological lineage. But both Ball and Green lines appear to originate in England. Charles's mother was Sarah Deitz, born about 1809, up the Susquehanna River in Harrisburg, PA. Sometimes I think I catch a whiff of Catholics in this branch.  Maryland was a colony for English catholics, and I've seen the name Ball associated with it. Furthermore, the origin of the Deitz surname may have been French Alsace. However, they all became Protestants somewhere along the way in frontier USA.

The Ohio River country was the mixing ground, New Albany, Indiana being my great-grandfather's childhood home town. But after the Civil War it looks like Wisconsin beckoned. Charle's was an apprentice Carriage maker before the Civil War, which would have given him the blacksmith skills which he used after the war in Kansas and Wisconsin. Genevieve, hiis grandaughter, said he was a drummer boy in the Civil War; but I don't really know.

Charles L. Greene took his first wife (Clara) out to Nebraska & over the line into Kansas (1880 census) after the Civil War (probably by riverboat to Council Bluffs, IA); Aside: His first taste of riding on a riverboat may have been the time when he boarded one in St.Louis, MO as a union soldier, horses and all! He apparently was the author of a pamphlet titled "Our Flag" in which he described his Civil War adventures. Back to subject: After he migrated to Wisconsin, he would seem to have socialized with others from Indiana.

Minnie (Melinda) and Charles would have been married around 1891, probably in Crawford County, Wisconsin where their seven daughters were born. One of Charles' and Minnie's seven daughters was Alma, my grandmother. Charle's seems to have added the final "e" to hiis name himself, since prior records show his family name to be "Green."

The only Puckett family who lived fairly nearby (Richland County, WI) was:
     Henry Linville Puckett, born about 1821 in Ohio;
     Nancy Wheeldon, born about 1834 in Indiana.
They are probably the parents of my great-grandmother Melinda Puckett. In any case, the census shows they had a daughter Melinda, born about 1862 in Indiana.

An alleged uncle/aunt-niece connection within the family suggests that Melinda had a sister Mariah, married to John R. Smith of Crawford County, WI. Mariah would have been a half-sister, whose mother Elizabeth (Comer) was Henry's first wife in Indiana.

This U5b2 haplotype: from most recent female on Alma's dead end twig: living sister HOTLEN(1942,MN)>GENEVIEVE SCHROTZ(1918,WI)>ALMA GREENE(1897,WI)>MELINDA(MINNIE) PUCKETT(1862,IN)>From here back it is my best guess: NANCY WHEELDON(1834,IN)>SELAH FALCONBURY/FALCONBERRY(1802,SC)>CHARITY(1760,NC). Based on rare HVR1+HVR2 match probably from England > Massachusetts? > VA > NC > SC > KY > IN > WI. Visit: http://www.falconberry.com/

Jacob Falconbury, Selah's father, was born near Wadesboro, NC in 1757. After Revolutionary War he moved to the Orangeburg District of SC. In 1804 he moved with family to Lincoln County, Kentucky, specifically along Fishing Creek. His last move was to Decatur County, IN; leaving some of the family in KY, but taking daughter Selah and her husband with him. Jacob Falconbury was a Revolutionary War veteran and later received a pension. His mother, Mary Giles, was probably born in Johnston County, NC, as that is where her father, John Giles came from prior to buying land in Anson County. Whether this Giles line is somehow related to a governor of Virginia, William B. Giles; as well as to Major Edward Giles, aide to General Daniel Morgan of the Revolutionary War, I don't know.

Jacob's wife Charity's lineage, and therefore my mtDNA, is still a mystery. But a spreading center for her mtDNA U5 haplotype would have been in Virginia. From there lines went to NC, SC, KY, TN and beyond. There has been commentary that her real name started with R. She may have assumed Charity as her first name, for some reason. Her daughter Selah named her own first daughter Rachel, which may point to a name starting with R. And Baker as Charity's last name should be considered. Baker pops up as middle names in a few cases without any apparent reason, unless it was her maiden name.

------------------------------------
June 8 & August 25, 2007
Death records for Melinda and her mother Nancy are not on file at the Wisconsin State Vital Records Department. The 1910 census has Charles living alone, his children scattered, but claiming to be married; In 1920 he was a widower. Furthermore, Alma's daughter Genevieve claimed she didn't know her grandmother's name. This all seems to boil down to being a tragic mystery. Tidbit: According to Alma's daughter Genevieve, Alma was "farmed out" to live with relatives in Nebraska, after Minnie's death (but at some point returned to Wisconsin).

*****************************************************************************************************
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:28:08 AM by PDHOTLEN » Logged

U5b2/U5b2b2 (traces to colonial USA European) & R1a1a1 L664+ (Norwegian descent); X chromosome (not tested) = half Austrian and half Colonial USA. FTDNA kit #54319. Genebank EF419891. MitoSearch/Y-Search #G986T.

agantman

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 01:09:24 AM »

Hello:
I tested u5b at the end of last year. 16093C, 16183C, 16189C, 16270T.  On FTDNA I have several exact matches but with very Scandanavian sounding last names.  My family (Moskowitz) reportedly comes from Russia with my earliest known relative born in 1869.  We're Jewish as well -- kind of a disconnect from the rest of the u5b clan! 
PDHOTLEN

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 06:38:54 PM »

There seems to be a connection between U5's in Sardinia and U5's in Ireland and elsewhere in the British Isles. I just found an Irish connection, when the 16519 is ignored and removed. Since 16519 seems to be volitile, I try matches both with and without it.

I wish some scientist(s) would investigate the Sardinian connection. It probably goes back to Ice Age refugia in that area.

U5b2/U5b2b2 (traces to colonial USA European) & R1a1a1 L664+ (Norwegian descent); X chromosome (not tested) = half Austrian and half Colonial USA. FTDNA kit #54319. Genebank EF419891. MitoSearch/Y-Search #G986T.

byakhee_2001

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:55:47 AM »

There seems to be a connection between U5's in Sardinia and U5's in Ireland and elsewhere in the British Isles. I just found an Irish connection, when the 16519 is ignored and removed. Since 16519 seems to be volitile, I try matches both with and without it.

I wish some scientist(s) would investigate the Sardinian connection. It probably goes back to Ice Age refugia in that area.

I think that U5b2 has his origins in North Of Africa. And has Berber origins.

We can find U5b2 in Spain or in Italy because of the Arab Invasions. Don't forget that some of them were done by Berbers!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 19 queries.