World Families Forums - Robert Cann - My Brick Wall

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 03:19:57 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'C'
| | |-+  Cann (Moderator: cannadmin)
| | | |-+  Robert Cann - My Brick Wall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Cann - My Brick Wall  (Read 867 times)
crcann

« on: June 02, 2009, 11:08:49 PM »

I have traced most of the branches of my family tree back into the late 1700s and a couple of them all the way back into the early 1500s.  But Robert Cann, my paternal great grandfather, is a dead end for me.  Hence the DNA testing.  Family tradition has it that Robert was born in Tiverton, Devon, England 22 May 1828.  The scant official sources that approach a match have him born anywhere from 1827 to 1833 depending on which Robert is which.  The Canadian Census indicates he came to Canada in 1858 and settled in Bruce Co., ON where he married Margaret Askin.  The family moved to the Western Territories (south-east Saskatchewan) in 1882 where descendants still farm to this day.  Robert passed away there 15 Mar 1902.

Despite years of searching, Robert remains a mystery, as I have no information on his parents or siblings.  If any of this strikes a cord with anyone out there, I would love to hear from you either here or at crcann at shaw.ca.   Thanks.

Follow-up August 15, 2010
I recently hired a researcher in England to look into this for me and am now 98% sure I have Robert's lineage traced back as far as John Cann b. 1631 in Devon, England probably around Throwleigh.  Now it appears I have a lot of work to do as there are many records available for that branch of the tree.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to read through this.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:14:46 AM by crcann » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 19 queries.