World Families Forums - Hackers-Scammers Targeting WFNWebsite

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 09:05:00 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Special Forums - Note: You must be Logged In to Post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Notify us of a Problem
| | |-+  Hackers-Scammers Targeting WFNWebsite
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hackers-Scammers Targeting WFNWebsite  (Read 1703 times)
Eric Brewster44th

« on: January 20, 2007, 01:15:59 AM »

Hi all, first of all I am glad to be back in and I kindly thank Terry Barton for his assistance.   Secondly I had for some 2-3 weeks been pretty frustrated at not being able to log into the Forum.

I had found out that some hackers or scammers has probably sent a wormvirus to wait at the login program at WFN as well as maybe sent to a few other websites of this group to monitor peoples's login info and report back to it's creator.......    I had figured out that this scamming hacking is very similiar to the 419 Nigerian scams and someone is using some very hightech program to infiltrate this website.

The customer-user is redirected to a partly fake webpage and then gets told to pay for an SPN test for a fee of $15, the user finds out they cannot signin to the login page and gets "Security UPGrade Error" messages when the $15 is not sent........this is all part of the hacking program.   Apparently it has a cracking mini program that sliced into the data base of email addresses and targets the list of users of this site.

I would ask anyone like me, that has experienced the same program login problems to contact Terry Barton about them and give him the info that they got from their login problems, especially; the addy for the redirected website page.   I was angry and had deleted the falsified page a few days ago, thinking that "one hand knew what the other was doing."   But I was wrong; I thank Terry Barton for cleaning up the misunderstanding.

Eric Brewster The 44th Brewster Historian
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 09:09:07 AM »

This is our first report on this.  If you have experienced anything of a similar nature, please let me know immediately.

Terry

terry AT worldfamilies.net
Eric Brewster44th

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 01:43:39 PM »

This is our first report on this.  If you have experienced anything of a similar nature, please let me know immediately.

Terry

terry AT worldfamilies.net

Terry I had found out more information, I had emailed you but it is better that I tell others here about the "SNP scammer testing"; the Scammer is someone that names themselves "Sierra Netz".   Obviously an fictious name......secondly the scammers link is "http://www.familytreedna.com/SNP_Assurance.html/ .

I would think, Terry, that the scammer had a program that scanned your real pages here and created a clone redirection page at the server enterance page.   All it does is wait for clients and scans their information then reports back to the scamartist.   After gathering the information the Worm Virus program opens a clone webpage that tells the client they must pay for a further SNP Test as well as pretending that the client cannot get access into the real webpage all the while rewriting the client's access codes to keep directing them to the fake clone webpage.

It is important for all clients of WFN to be aware of how this scammer operates because your computers will be targets as well as any credit card info and or sending moneyorders and addresses, the scammer wants money any way they can get it.

Eric Brewster The 44th Brewster Historian
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 11:00:44 PM »

Eric, I have met Sierra amd the SNP assurance program at FTDNA is legitimate. 

After I hear back from you - I may eliminate this entire thread.

Terry
AvaMC09

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience Eric. I'm just new in this forum and will put it in mind.

Ava
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »

Ava, there are many problems in the world.  This is not one of them.  Terry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 17 queries.