World Families Forums - J* and British Isles heritage

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 03:59:38 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Mitochondrial DNA
| | |-+  J* and British Isles heritage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: J* and British Isles heritage  (Read 4906 times)
kelley

« on: December 26, 2006, 03:12:17 AM »

I posted this as a response to Zorita's post below, but since her post was a few months old I thought I'd also start a new topic as that thread may have become stagnant.

According to the National Geographic project, I belong to haplogroup J* through my maternal line.  I registered at DNA Family Tree but only received sparse info. Are there any other resources that can elaborate on this haplogroup, specifically as to the history of their migration to the British Isles?  My mother's ancestry is supposedly all from the British Isles (England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland) so I'm curious as to how J* ended up in that part of the world from an historical standpoint.

Also, how does J* differ from J1 and J2, ethnically/geographically?  What does the asterisk mean exactly?

Incidentally, my mutations are 16069T, 16126C, 16234T.  What does this mean?

Thanks for shedding some light.

Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:06:50 PM »

Hi Kelley.  I am not very familiar with J*, but Sharon is - she heads the J* mtDNA haplogroup project.

http://www.familytreedna.com/DNAList.asp?Group=J-mtDNA

You'll want to join the project and see what info has been collected there.

Terry
hdw

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:36:27 AM »

Kelley, have you found answers yet to your question about what J* means? I've just posted on this subject on the J-asterisk haplotype thread, but I remain eager for information and clarification.

Harry
calsurfergirl

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:01:10 AM »

Kelley,

I am also J*, with only your first two mutations, 069T and 126C.  On your question about the difference between J* and J1 and J2 ethnically and geographically, the best I have been able to figure out is that we are descended from pre-J1/J2 stock.  This could mean our ancestress(es) remained in the Levant (Lebanon and Palestine) until a much later date than the J1's and J2's, which are recognized as the two branches that entered Europe, one by land and one by sea.  And we may be more closely related to people in Iran, Turkey, India, Bedouin and Yemen than to the purely European J's. 

Does this explain my mother's contentment at living for 10 years in Turkey, my grade school fascination with the Bedouin, my grandmother's birth in India and a fascination with that civilization that has continued into the present generation?  By the way, my maternal grandmother's female line was from Denmark by way of Norway.  All this information leads to lots of speculation which may be answered someday:  are the J's in the British Isles descended from invading Vikings?  Were our ancestresses Phoenician, great sailors as were the Vikings?  Although I realize the mtDNA is only a teeny part of our ancestry, it's amazing to think that the mtDNA running my body is identical to a woman who lived thousands of years ago in the mid-east.  Receiving these results has given me a sense of identity.  I always felt slightly non-European.  Although I appear vaguely Scandinavian/German/Russian, I don't really look like those types either.  I look at the pictures of J's in Iran and Turkey on National Geographic and see the similar bone structure.

Hope this helps.

Kristin
hdw

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 05:35:43 AM »

Has anyone else tried registering at Genetree? (www.genetree.com)  I believe I am mtDNA J*, but when I typed in my haplotype at Genetree, it classified me as J1. I have 4 matches there, although two of them are clearly close relatives in the same extended family.

When I clicked on the link My DNA Profile, I got a page of information headed Haplogroup N, Subgroup Y, Phylogeography of M, N and R. I can't see what this has to do with mtDNA J.

However, I recently took the FTDNA 67-marker test, so I look forward to getting some clarity soon about both my Y DNA and mtDNA status.

Harry
carolelesley

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »

I have had my mit dna done through the ancestry website and it has come back as J haplotype.  I don't know how this differs from J* haplotype.  Ancestry has not yet got its database together and this should happen at the end of March when it will have 50,000 of us on there.  I have been told that this haplotype originated in the Near East and is associated with the Neolithic people - herders and farmers.  Is my J haplotype the same as your J* haplotype?  Any further information you have found out would be gratefully received.  I am just about to the read the book '7 daughters of Eve'.  I live in the British Isles.
hdw

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »

Hello Carole. I keep trying to find out more about mtDNA J, and the most useful forum I've found so far is J-mtDNA@yahoogroups.com  It's owned by Jim Logan, who researches in this field. I've cut and pasted a recent exchange of posts on this forum which you might find informative.

I've recently had my HVR2 region tested, so I now have 10 markers on that region as well as 6 on HVR, and it would appear that I am J1c1 (see below). I have found 3 very close matches, at 6/6 on HVR1 and 9/10 on HVR2 (I have an extra mutation there that the other three don't have). One of these 3 people is an American lady who was adopted and doesn't know who her biological parents were. The second is someone whose mtDNA ancestry goes back to Ayrshire in the west of Scotland, and the third has mtDNA ancestors in Dublin.

However, at a GD (genetic distance) of 2 or more markers, I am getting near matches with people from Norway, Russia and Latvia!

Harry

Harry,

I had noticed matches with Scottish but also East European areas ... your Irish source is interesting but then there was a lot of travel, firstly form Ireland to Scotland but much later in the reverse direction.  This is probable how your "J" arrived in Co Down.
Apart from that, I am not that knowledgeable on mtDNA yet.

Cheers
Dennis W

BTW, in my mutations below I state 195t which should have been 295t, as you are.

-----Original Message-----
From: J-mtDNA@yahoogroups .com [mailto:J-mtDNA@ yahoogroups. com]On Behalf Of Harry Watson
Sent: Sunday, 16 December 2007 11:09 PM
To: J-mtDNA@yahoogroups .com
Subject: RE: [J-mtDNA] J subclades

Dennis, I'm grateful for your post, as it helps to
clear up my own confusion.

I originally tested with Oxford Ancestors, who test
only the HVR1 region. They concluded that I was a
"Jasmine", i.e. mtDNA haplogroup J.

Bryan Sykes of OA distinguishes between Land Jasmines
who came to the British Isles overland through Europe,
and Oceanic Jasmines who came by the seaways. He gives
modal values for both haplotypes, and I don't match
either of them. I fed my results into mitosearch,
which told me I was J*.

I've now tested with FTDNA, and the full results for
both regions are as follows:

HVR1

16069T
16126C
16163G
16266T
16311C
16519C

HVR2

73G
185A
188G
228A
263G
295T
309.1C
315.1C
462T
489C

My earliest known mitochondrial ancestor was my 3 x
great-grandmother Jane Murray, born circa 1794 in the
Co. Down, Northern Ireland.

I'm aware of matches or partial matches with Scottish
and Irish ancestry, but now I'm also discovering
matches in Norway and Russia. A Russian correspondent
assures me I am J1c1, like himself. This seems to be
identical with what Stephen Oppenheimer, in "The
Origins of the British", calls J1b1. In the map on
page 214 of his book he shows the alleged route the
J1b1 people took from Norway into the British Isles.

All very confusing! I would be grateful for any
comments or advice.

Harry

--- Dennis Wright <scorpion@netconnect .com.au> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> Looks like Snap!
>
> I have:-
> 16069c
> 16126c
> 16519c
> 73g
> 185a
> 188g
> 228g
> 263g
> 195t
> 315.1c
> 462t
> 489c
>
> The 16069c and 16126c gives us 'J'
> 462t = 'J1'
> 185a and 228g = 'J1'
> 185a, 188g and 16519c ='J1c1'
>
> So where is your earliest ancestor from?
> Mine is Ann McCredie Cotton b 1818 Hamilton, Lanark,
> Scotland.
>
> Dennis Wright
> R1b1c* Irish Type III
> mt DNA J1c1
> Ysearch/mitosearch ID 6PWCD
> http://au.geocities .com/t120r61/ index.htm
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: J-mtDNA@yahoogroups .com
> [mailto:J-mtDNA@yahoogroups .com]On Behalf Of
> petesara5760
> Sent: Sunday, 16 December 2007 2:09 PM
> To: J-mtDNA@yahoogroups .com
> Subject: [J-mtDNA] J subclades
>
>
> Jim! I was looking at your 2nd draft of the J Hg
> tree. I want to make
> sure I am interpreting the tree correctly.
>
> Among other mutations, I have 16519 in HVR1 and
> 185 and 188 in HVR2.
> Does this suggest I may be J1C1? I have been
> classified J* by FTDNA.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete Jeschke
> Ydna I1a
> mtdna J*
>
>
>
>
>

carolelesley

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:25:21 PM »

Thanks, I have contacted Jim Logan via email.  Carole
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.