World Families Forums - Sheets Lines -- Johan Sheets from Holland in 1682

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:56:20 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Sheets (Moderator: Paul Sheats)
| | | |-+  Sheets Lines -- Johan Sheets from Holland in 1682
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sheets Lines -- Johan Sheets from Holland in 1682  (Read 1904 times)
Paul Sheats

« on: September 25, 2006, 09:48:55 PM »

These series of "Sheets Lines" threads I have created to help identify and outline the various Sheets lines we know about today, thanks to those researchers who have gone before us, and also those among us today who continue the search.?

Johan Sheets from Holland in 1682

What I know about this line is that there was a book written in 1940, by Mrytle O. Sheets, that tells the story of the descendants of one John, or Johan Sheets, who came from Holland in 1682 with the 2nd colony of William Penn.  He settled on a farm of 612 acres bought of Wm. Penn in what is now the state of Pennsylvania.  The book goes on to say that Johan raised a large family, but the researchers of the book could not come up with any names of Johan's family except for one son, Frederick(1).  Frederick(1) had four sons, George, Jacob, Christian, and Frederick(2).

George remained on a farm near Emittsburg along the Monocasy river.  His family scattered from there.

Jacob went to Virginia, and bought a large tract of land and from there his family scattered, some going to Ohio settling near Belair, and others going to Indiana, settling near Frankfort. 

Christian also came to Ohio, settling near Chillicothe.

Frederick(2) left Frederick County, Maryland in 1802 coming to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.  He came to the conclusion that it was too rough for farming, and came on to Columbiana County, Ohio, where he bought a farm of 640 acres.

The story goes on from there, outlining only the descendants of Frederick(2), son of Frederick(1), son of Johan.  The entire book is 40 pages and can be downloaded as image files (.jpg) via Ancestry.com.

The only problem I have with this book is... why go through the effort of researching for and publishing a book, and then not list any supporting sources for the information?  Unless the sources were kept and passed down in the family.  I'm not saying they would have had to list the sources for all of the descendants in the book, but especially for the earliest ones, I think it would have made the book that much more interesting and credible.  You know, maybe show a copy here and there of a real document, or at least tell the source and how to find it.  Does anyone know how they knew Johan was part of the 2nd colony of Wm Penn?  Is he on a list somewhere?  I don't mean to offend anyone by questionning this.  In fact, this line is probably one of the best documented ones in existance, as far as Sheets lines go.  We are lucky to have it at all.  I guess this is just the frustrating thing about genealogy sometimes, is the lack of source information!

The other thiing we don't know for sure (correct me if I'm wrong), is that Johan came from Holland.  Does that mean he came to America via Holland, he lived in Holland, or was born in Holland?? Could he have been of German origin and merely left for America via a Holland port?

Member S-5 of the project is a probable descendant of this line, and his haplogroup is I.  Unfortunately at this time, the science of DNA can only tell us the general movement of peoples through history and their possible origin. Haplogroup I is thought to originate from France, and moved generally North/Northeast and can be found in many Scandinavian countries, and Northwestern Europe.  This would include the possibilities of both Germany and Holland.

Work has continued on the Johan Sheets line, mainly in trying to tie in the descendants of Frederick(1)'s other sons, George, Jacob and Christian.  In fact mainly that of Jacob who went to Virginia.

(to be continued....)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:02:37 AM by SheetsAdmin » Logged
ConnieS

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 01:53:34 PM »

I have read in more than one place that the Johann Jacob Sheets/Sheetz who purchased land from William Penn in the 1680s did not come to America.  For more information, please see my post this date in the thread entitled Scheetz of early Pennsylvania.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.