World Families Forums - How do you recruit new members for your surname DNA project?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 01:25:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Special Forums - Note: You must be Logged In to Post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Questions and News Articles of the Week
| | |-+  How do you recruit new members for your surname DNA project?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you recruit new members for your surname DNA project?  (Read 1167 times)
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: July 30, 2006, 08:40:45 PM »

Have you had particular success in recruiting new members for your surname DNA project?? What methods did you use?? Share your secrets with others who are getting a surname DNA project started.
Post your comments here.? (Click the button marked "reply" at the bottom of this page to post)? ?Note: if you are signed in, you can come back later and edit, update, or even delete your original? posting.? Feel free to post as many times as you'd like
Paul Sheats
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:07:05 AM »

I would think fall and winter are good times to recruit.  In the summer most folks are out
enjoying the weather, and so many things take our attention (graduations, family outings,
weddings, vacations, etc.)   On the other hand, maybe summer is a good time to at least
"plant the seed", so to speak, about our surname projects.

To be honest, I've not had much luck recruiting anyone yet.  I've posted to surname
forums at rootsweb and genealogy.com.  I've also sent some emails to addresses with my
surname I found via google.  A few sounded interested in the idea, but as of yet, none
have ordered a test. 

I have one member who is still awaiting results, and once those are in, I plan to send out
an update about the project to the forums and emails I sent to before.  I also thought
about posting more basic information about DNA and genealogy at the forums, for those
that might not now much about it, and may be hesitating about getting involved due to
lack of knowledge about what it can do, etc.

I've also done some "targeting", where I've traced the descendants of the ancestors
of whom I believe to be related.  This was not easy, as my dad was an only child, and
my grandfather was the only son of his family.  So I have to go back to mid 1800's to
find any possible cousins.  Anyway, I found one living male so far and emailed him.  He
emailed me back once, but not since then, even though I've sent a couple emails after
that.  I don't want to bombard him with emails, but I plan to send a project update
to him in a month or so.

Another thing I would like to try is just snail mailing to random families with my surname
(and variations thereof) throughout the U.S. and Canada, maybe up to 50 letters, and
see if that brings in any participants. 

I'm also interested in hearing other ideas that have worked!
joeflood

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:23 PM »

Ive only been going a couple of months and I am struggling a bit.

Initially I put out a call on all the forums, and wrote to a third of the Coads in the Australian phonebook, but none of these broadband approaches were very helpful. In the end you have to target every person, tell them about the advantages, assuage their fears etc - and that is a lot of work, four or five long emails per participant.

The Christmas  certificate was very helpful and I was able to get four on board using that as an incentive. Some others are taking up a  collection through their fund and paying for the new tests of cousins. I will begin that approach soon, as a subsidy seems to help ppl to make up their minds.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 18 queries.