World Families Forums - Welsh DNA Markers

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 13, 2014, 12:06:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Y-Haplogroups
| | |-+  Welsh DNA Markers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welsh DNA Markers  (Read 2393 times)
Merlin

« on: October 13, 2006, 11:34:05 PM »

I had my 67 markers done by familytreeDNA and most of my surnames were near matches from Wales, one guy e-mailed me and said I was Welsh by my marker 448 at 17.
He said the real key marker for Welsh was 17 at 448, is this true and how ?
Is there a haplotype model for Welsh ?

Arch Y.
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:40:53 AM »

I had my 67 markers done by familytreeDNA and most of my surnames were near matches from Wales, one guy e-mailed me and said I was Welsh by my marker 448 at 17.
He said the real key marker for Welsh was 17 at 448, is this true and how ?
Is there a haplotype model for Welsh ?

I'm awaiting my 67 marker test due in Feb 07, as well autosomal panels 1 & 2 due back in late Dec. 06. I was informed that DYS 448 at 17 may be atypical of Welsh lineage. Interestingly, I'm able to trace my surname to Wales (mainly around Cardiff, Chepstow, Barry) back to the early 1500s. As well a variant of the surname throughout Devon, Somerset, and Bristol. My haplogroup R1b1c6 is found mostly in SW England and southern Ireland and points to an Iberian origin (Basque/Gascon, or Catalan). There is a gentlemen who is from Ireland (R1b1c*) with DYS 448=17 who pointed out to me about his family's origins from Wales back around the 1100s during the Norman period. Looking at DYS 448=17 seems to be rare alelle. It seems like I'm getting closer to the Cardiff-Chepstow-Bristol region to help narrow down my ancestry which I believe or hope is where I can focus my energy and attention towards.
Varangian

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 05:10:35 PM »

I don't know how helpful it might be, but the Blood of the Isles project has the marker results published here:

http://www.bloodoftheisles.net/OGAP_yDNA.pdf

There are quite a few samples from Wales, but they only checked 10 markers (none of them 448), so it's probably good only for very general conclusions; for example, I checked my markers against those listed and only had 100% matches with samples from old Norse-Gaelic areas like Argyll, Galloway and Hebrides, which gives me a general hint.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 17 queries.