World Families Forums - DNA results line

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 05:55:35 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'O'
| | |-+  Odell (Moderator: odellAdmin)
| | | |-+  DNA results line
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DNA results line  (Read 2711 times)
ShirleyE

« on: September 27, 2006, 12:27:09 PM »

How do we know what Odell line the DNA results is from?
ewodell

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:56:45 AM »

ShirleyE,
I am in the process of becoming project administrator for the "worldfamilies.net/surnames/o/odell" project, and starting at "zero".

Your question is good. My understanding is:A Y-DNA sample from a male with an Odell/O'Dell/Odle/--- surname will trace back thru the male surname lline, without naming specific ancestors. I believe there are at least 3 Odell lines in the USA which allmost certainly have roots in England. IF we can get Y-DNA samples frrom males in each branch, we should be able to establish the existance (or absence) of a common root, and if each branch/line supplies a pedigree, we can then look for that root.

An Mt-DNA sample from a female will trace her female ancestors, disregarding the married names of all females in the ancestral line. This should lead to identification of an "original Eve", and the probable migratory path of the female line. If we had a matralinial society this line would have a common surname, but we have a patralinial society, so there is no common surname for the female succession.

Note that each male has an Mt-DNA marker, which he cannot pass on, but this marker can be analyzed to trace  the female line of his own mother, the same line that his sister could provide.

Females do not carry the male Y-DNA.

I hope this is not too confusing. I am still learning. Let me know if further clarifiacation is needed. I have submitted samples for both Y-DNA and Mt-DNA analysis and hoping something interesting will develop. At this point we would like to get pedigrees from as many "Odells" as possible and ask them to consider giving samples for DNA analysis.

Regards, E. Wayne O'Dell
DiggerDawg

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:15:06 AM »

Hi, I have been reading the posts here and looked at some of the pedigrees and notice that most of it is England to USA. My line went to Canada instead, would it still be beneficial for me to order a DNA testing kit? Also would there only be possibilities of matching up with those already tested or would it help me with some of the brick walls I am facing?
odellAdmin

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »

Digger Dawg, Sorry to be so slow getting back to you -- have not looked at the Forum, and just got a new password to get back in.

Most of us assume our branch came directly from England, but have no proof. I knew some came via Canada, but you are the first to show up. Do you have a link to England?
y-DNA does not promise to find your ancestors, but the first step is to determine what "haplogroup" (blood line) you are in, and then looks for matches in the "Odell Project" and in the entire data collection. You can follow up on these and might find some connections. I found a 2nd cousin twice removed that I had neve heard of, and also show relatively good matches to people in the Woodall Project. It has long been claimed that the variants of Odell and the variants of Woodall have a commmon origin.

Beneficial? No guarantee, but I believe it could help. If you can afford it, I would recommend the y-DNA 37 test which does the most in the way of finding matches. I think the current cost is $149. You can check out the various test possibilities by going to worldfamilies.net/surnames/odell/ and and clicking on the Order Test heading. You can click on each test to get an explanation. I do not get a cut on any of the testing, I am only a volunteer Administrator of the Odell Project.

I hope you will decide to join us. You could start by sending me a list of your lineage to put in the Patriarch collection -- you can do that even if you decide not to do the testing. Click on the Patriachs heading to see what some members have submitted. I will format and add yours to the collection.

Good luck, in any event,

E. Wayne O'Dell
ewodle@msn.com
Administrator of the Odell DNA Project

Reply to this Personal Message
DiggerDawg

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »

I just emailed my pedigree to the email referenced on that page, if you want I can you a copy also. I plan on ordering a DNA test kit in the new year. Thank you for replying.
Mike O'Dell
diggerpig@shaw.ca
odellAdmin

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:41:59 PM »

Mike,
Your pedigree data has been posted on the Patriarch page. Looking forward to arrival of your DNA sample whenever you can manage it.
E. Wayne O'Dell
ewodle@msn.com
11/15/10
odellAdmin

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:55:53 PM »

Mike,

I will try again, having failed to find you through "Diggerdawg" and "Diggerpig." I have had your pedigree in the Patriarchs page for a long time, and looking for your Y-DNA test.

Pull up worldfamilies.net/surnames/odell/ and look at the Patriachs page and the Results page to see that we have grown quite bit.

We have members in England, Ireland, scattered around the US and I think one or two came via Canada. DNA will determine your haplogroup (blood line) and the marker repeat values will help sort you into one of the lineages and find matches to help you find  links to other members.

I would like very much to have you as a member in the Odell project. Please contact me.

Wayne
E. Wayne O'Dell
ewodle@msn.com
Administrator of the Odell DNA Project
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 19 queries.