World Families Forums - J2 Haplogroup in Scotland

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 07:26:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Y-Haplogroups
| | |-+  J2 Haplogroup in Scotland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: J2 Haplogroup in Scotland  (Read 3769 times)
jmain

« on: September 26, 2006, 11:17:04 AM »

I have Scottish ancestry and was surprised to discover that I belong to the J2 haplogroup, a somewhat rare haplogroup in Scotland, as 80% of Scots are in the R1b haplogroup. I am a neophyte in this area, and would appreciate any information concerning the reason for the appearance of J2 in Scotland. The little research I have done to date indicates that this might have been brought to Scotland by Roman soldiers who were garrisoned around Hadrian's wall. J2 spread primarily from the Fertile Crescent to the Mediterranean area.
Tony Costa
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 05:58:08 PM »

Hello friend.

My name is Tony Costa. I'm born and live in Brazil.
In this Hyplogroup J2 there are in Jew and not Jew.
I recomends what you looking for in your family jewish registry, like some traditions watching in your relatives, grandfathers, etc...
I'm sorry my English.Is very poor.

Good Night

Tony da Costa
Brasilia- Brazil
cliffsheets

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 04:11:28 PM »

Enter your markers in www.smgf.org, you might find a hit. Have you done an SNP test to confirm the J2?

Here's a site that predicts your Haplogroup by the markers you enter:

http://home.comcast.net/~whitathey/predictorinstr.htm

Good luck.

Cliff
Doris

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 12:32:48 AM »

Hi. You're not alone. My Worden Y-DNA Project (here at WFN and at FTDNA) shows ten of our participants are in J2 (actually J2e1). Their MRCA is a descendant of Peter>Peter>Robert>William b. c 1500 in England, probably in Lancashire County, according to our paper trail. Perhaps our ancestors were Roman soldiers together!

Doris

Doris Wheeler
hdw

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »

I have Scottish ancestry and was surprised to discover that I belong to the J2 haplogroup, a somewhat rare haplogroup in Scotland, as 80% of Scots are in the R1b haplogroup. I am a neophyte in this area, and would appreciate any information concerning the reason for the appearance of J2 in Scotland. The little research I have done to date indicates that this might have been brought to Scotland by Roman soldiers who were garrisoned around Hadrian's wall. J2 spread primarily from the Fertile Crescent to the Mediterranean area.

What puzzles me is why the Y DNA J people are so rare in Scotland, whereas mtDNA J is the 2nd commonest mitochondrial haplogroup in Europe after H(elena), and quite common in Scotland and Ireland. They are both supposed to have their origins in the Fertile Crescent. We are told that the first Neolithic farmers in Europe were of mtDNA J descent, but what was their Y DNA?

Harry
jfields

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 11:40:07 PM »

Roman armies would defeat a people and immediately gather the artists, mathematicians, etc to work for Rome.  If they refused they might be killed or enslaved.  Also, at times they would hire professional soldiers or mercenaries from other nations to fight for them.  It was quit common for Roman calvary to be none-Roman.
There were many merchants from countries like Syria, Spain etc that conducted business with the Roman Army.  The English have unearthed graves with Syrians that date to the Roman occupation.
When the Roman Empire began to crumble, many generation later, the armies retreated back toward Rome but the descendents remained in the country.  After a dozen generations they were home and had no reason to leave.
The difference between mtDNA and YDNA occurred because men like the Vikings would attack a village, killing the local men, then settle and make homes in their newly conquered territory.  The woman remaining, with no men, were available and eventually became their women. 
A good example is the Norman knights and soldiers with William the Conquerer who conquered England during 1066 and later years often picked Anglo-Saxon wives for diplomatic reasons. 
The scottish Menzies Clan, originally Norman, gave military service to Scottish King Alexander II and became thoroughtly gaelic after 2-3 hundred years of gaelic marriages.  However their Y chromosome was still Norman or Viking while their mtDNA, men and women might be gaelic.  Hope this helps, Joe L Fields 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 18 queries.