World Families Forums - The Schütz name

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 11:59:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Sheets (Moderator: Paul Sheats)
| | | |-+  The Schütz name
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Schütz name  (Read 1356 times)
Paul Sheats

« on: December 06, 2006, 09:33:58 PM »

Name:  Schütz, Schütze
Usage:  German
Meaning:  marksman, huntsman, (good) shot; sharp-shooter, rifleman: private (infantry); (Hist.) archer; (Astr.) Sagittarius

Name:  Schuttmann, Schützen
Usage:  German
Meaning: "watchman, guard" from the Middle High German schützen.

The following is a quote from this website:  http://www.polishroots.org/surnames/surnames_16.htm

German Schuetz- can refer in some cases to the root meaning "shoot," or to the root schützen, "protect, guard," so I'm not sure whether Schuetzmann would mean "marksman" or "watchman, guard," and neither of my sources on German names really settles the question definitively. But from what I see, the root with no umlaut, just Schutz-, is more likely to mean "guard," and with the umlaut, Schütz- or Schuetz-, probably refers to "shoot." So I believe this name started out meaning "marksman, archer." Once Germans by that name came to live in Poland, it was only a matter of time before the Polish influence began to affect the spelling of the name, and eventually Szycman was the result.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 11:13:15 PM by SheetsAdmin » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.