World Families Forums - Why did you choose to be mtDNA tested?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:43:01 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Special Forums - Note: You must be Logged In to Post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Questions and News Articles of the Week
| | |-+  Why did you choose to be mtDNA tested?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did you choose to be mtDNA tested?  (Read 1288 times)
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: August 14, 2006, 09:21:31 PM »

Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is used to look at the DNA that a man or woman inherits from the mother's mother's side.? While helpful in establishing a maternal ineage where a good paper trail already exists, it is not as useful in tracing a surname as a yDNA (father's father's line), which is inherited only by men.? Mitochondrial DNA is also useful to establish deep ancestry and can give ethnic origins.? Have you been mtDNA tested?? If so, did you discover something about your ancestors or ethnic origin?? Did you solve a mystery with mtDNA?? Post your comments here.? (Click the button marked "reply" at the bottom of this page to post)? ?Note: if you are signed in, you can come back later and edit, update, or even delete your original? posting.? Feel free to post as many times as you'd like
Chicken n Dumplin

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 05:37:23 AM »

I chose to be tested because it's just as important for me to know where  mom's from as it is to know where dad's from. mtDNA IS USED by scientists to study deceased males-all of the male mummies were mtDNA tested first from the CheddarMan to the Iceman and many others.That goes to show there is some value to maternal DNA.Many men get both parents sides' done for a complete assessment.Many females would too,but they have only their mother's side- they'd need a brother,son(to show their father),maternal uncle,or maternal cousin(to show their mother's father-grandfather) to do the male side for them.Families have to work together to do this,especially since women need men.Famale DNA isn't insignificent,because there is a male-female combo that you see in every ethnic clan worldwide.Basically ,there is a certain breed male ,connected to a corresponding breed female-even if they marry other breed people,it is seen genetically that they correspond and are considered a couple.So a woman would have to know what breed she is in order to know which nation and ethnicity she is part of and who her corresponding male would normally be.It's a lesson in history,but you'd have to know which history you come from and where you belong,basically.My mtDNA results matched Oetzi,the Iceman,so do many people in Britain.The corresponding male for us is one of the R1b divisions of males,though you CAN marry anyone.

My Haplogroup is mtK HVR1: ,224C,311C,519C. HVR2: ,263G,315.1C,497T,524.1C,524.2A.  These here are some of my sequence #'s.
Chicken n Dumplin

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 05:54:09 AM »

I do intend to get my paternal side tested,as well.As I have no son or brother my Ma and I hope to get one of her brothers tested.That'll show their father and my grandfather and beyond that.What I suspect is that one of our husband partners is either a mtK or a R1b male,which would make him a clan brother and a perfect matching mate ,theoretically.I don't mind admixtures,but my genetic makeup is pretty much what it should be-it all worked out evenly ,without trying very hard to make it that way.My grandparents might have been from the same country,even though they weren't told/taught that,and even though they grew up in two very different states and even though our neighbors aren't from the same exact place as we-yet my forebears managed to hook up-it seems like sheer luck arranged by the stars! So,I'm like, very anxious to see if they correspond and match well-even if they not corresponding tribes I still think they are well together.   Note:not too many people are interested though.I thought of it and I'm the one that got the first test.You never know,maybe I'll have a son and get my paternal line done that way...It could happen.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:01:40 AM by Chicken n Dumplin » Logged

My Haplogroup is mtK HVR1: ,224C,311C,519C. HVR2: ,263G,315.1C,497T,524.1C,524.2A.  These here are some of my sequence #'s.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 18 queries.