World Families Forums - Help understanding it all

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2016, 04:16:46 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Schroeder (Moderator: schroederAdmin)
| | | |-+  Help understanding it all
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help understanding it all  (Read 143 times)
Bill Schroeder

« on: October 07, 2016, 07:08:49 PM »

I've been on Ancestry a while, and have a wikitree, and was happy I could do the DNA test.
Now I see information here and on myFTDNA that is great, but ... nothing seems to link anything together.
On myFTDNA where I look for my most distant ancestor, sure enough, there's a Schroeder in Germany.
Which one? According to Ancestry, my most distant ancestor is Claus, no dates, father of Hans born in 1698. Apparently no DNA path has been made anywhere  to either of these, I can accept that.
So I look here on y-results, and I see a    159177   Johann Schroeder, b. about 1705, died before 1759 fellow. Not in my direct lineage based on my gedcom.
So I'm left wondering what pedigree you all are going to accept from me when the only information I can get from myFTDNA is a name and country. I clicked on the family tree over there and it was bare. I could not find a place to actually see anyone listed from my ancestry, only people who match my DNA.
I see my 4th great grandfather's wife's maiden name, Jancke or perhaps on myFTDNA is says, Janke, I can't remember, but where does one go to visually find Johann Samuel Schroeder's wife, Marie Elisabeth Dorothea Jancke over there? Where would I find Johann Samuel Schroeder for that matter?
I realize that this is all very in depth and all, but it seems to me, with my basic understanding of databases and data, et al, that if the site knows of the name Janke/Jancke, then the information ought to be handily available.
Same for here.
I'm just wanting to find out where to get the actual most distant ancestor on my father's side, other than our last name, Schroeder, and origin, Germany, which I didn't need a DNA test or a membership here to find out.
Anybody got any pointers? Also, I see this forum doesn't exactly set the woods on fire, maybe the information I"m asking for, if readily available, would create more traffic here...
Anyway, thanks for all this, I'm overwhelmed and eager to find out more.
Like how myFTDNA knows my most distant ancestor on Mom's side was a Wemyss from Scotland, yet my Origins map doesn't cover there. My grandmother was Irish, yet Ireland doesn't show there either. Transients, not true born Scots or Irish? This is all, like I say, overwhelming. So many more questions than before.
Pretty cool, though, if you think about it.
Thanks again.
Bill Schroeder, Legitimate King of all Scots in my own mind.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 19 queries.