World Families Forums - Can only 8 or 9 generations of DNA answer country of origin questions?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:17:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Can only 8 or 9 generations of DNA answer country of origin questions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can only 8 or 9 generations of DNA answer country of origin questions?  (Read 1126 times)
Arminda

« on: July 31, 2006, 04:10:46 PM »

My problem involves one ancestor, born ca. 1700, d: 1777 in VA. Is it possible that DNA can determine the country where this particular person originated and also determine what country or countries his ancestors lived in?   

Some sources say old Daniel Holman was born in England, some say in Kent Co. Maryland (and presumably with English roots).  Then looking at records in the Holman's Creek area of Virginia's Shenandoah Valley there seems to be indications that Daniel could have been German and came to VA through Pennsylvania and was Lutheran or Reformed.  Others say he was English and a Quaker or Church of England, and yet others say he was Scots-Irish and came from Ulster to VA. If we could determine his country of origin, or even his religion, we would have leads that could help us complete our paper-based genealogy.

Due to the few Holman DNA participants I really don't have much hope in determing kinship back to this particular person...but from already established markers can we determine what country our Holman genes possibly originated in at a certain time in the past?  We plan to opt for 25 or more markers.

Generationally my nephew is really not too far from this Daniel, i.e.  Daniel > Thomas > Thomas > Thomas > Joseph > George > John > Charles > my nephew.  (Is that 8 or 9 generations?)  Time span 270 years (1700 to 1970).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 18 queries.