World Families Forums - J-asterisk haplotype

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 03:47:43 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Mitochondrial DNA
| | |-+  J-asterisk haplotype
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: J-asterisk haplotype  (Read 3004 times)
zorita

« on: July 23, 2006, 12:53:16 AM »

Can somebody help me to understand my haplotype "J-Asterisk"??

After doing the FamilyTreeDNA test it turned out that I have the pure "J-asterisk" mtDNA haplotype. And NO matches whatsoever. How this can be?

I left home at a very young age. All my family members already died. I can only guess that my family comes from the Bielorussian (Ukrainian?) place the famous Jewish writer (Sholem Aleichem?) wrote about. He narrates about a little town where many Jews lived and where there was a street where only so called WHITE Jews were living. Any baby was born white skin, blue/green eyes and with milk-white hair that darkened with time untill at the age of about 6-7 years it was golden, later the colour of a nut and after that reddish or red.
Now that is exactly what goes on in our family - my grandmother, mother, me and my grandchildren. So why there is no match for me? From where I am? Who I am?
Does anybody know something to add to my story?
Why on entering this site I am being asked whether I have the J haplotype and then I do not find anybody with it?
Thank you:)
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 10:13:03 PM »

Zorita, go to this site:

http://www.familytreedna.com/DNAList.asp?Group=J-mtDNA

The site is focused on your mtDNA group

Good Luck.   Terry
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:14:31 PM by terry » Logged
zorita

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:31:23 PM »

Thank you so much:)
Zorita
kelley

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 02:58:41 AM »

I went to the link Terry provided but it appears that I'm required to purchase another testing kit, in addition to the kit I've already done through National Geographic.  (Which tells me I am haplogroup J* through my maternal line.)  I did transfer my info from the National Geographic site to the FamilytreeDNA and it provided a brief profile, but I'd still like more detailed info.

Are there any other resources that can elaborate on this haplogroup?  I am unclear what J* means in contrast to J1 or J2.  Also, my mother's ancestry is supposedly all from the British Isles (England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland) so I'm curious as to how J* ended up in that part of the world from an historical standpoint.

Can anyone shed some light?

Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 01:35:18 PM »

Kelley, to join a project (when you are already inside the FTDNA system):

In your personal FTDNA page is a blue button labelled "join".  Click on that button, then scroll to the very bottom of the page - where you should see a listing for mt Haplogroup projects.  Select the letter of your haplogroup, then select the specific project, then select a second gray join button which is lower on the page. 

Or, you can call or email FTDNA and ask them to transfer you into the project     ( http://www.familytreedna.com )

If someone else reading this has been tested by National Genegraphic and hasn't joined FTDNA, you'll need to do that first:

You can transfer yourself, your results and your retained sample to Family Tree DNA.  Go to your NGGP page and look towards the bottom for a small link called "Learn More".  Click through the links and eventually you'll join Family Tree DNA.  Once you have done that, you'll be able to join the project of your choice.

Note: if you have not been tested at FTDNA or NGGP, you cannot join a mt haplogroup project at FTDNA.  However, do contact the project administrator, as they may have a provision to manually include you. 

Click here fo my summary of mt Haplogroup projects.

http://www.worldfamilies.net/mtDNA.htm

Terry

calsurfergirl

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 03:45:56 PM »

Thank you Terry.  I have now joined the J* project.  I just received my results in early December (HVR1 only) as J* and have so many questions.  I am having the HVR2 test done which should tell me more.  Given that my materal lineage is from Norway by way of Denmark, I am very curious how they got over there.  Does being a J* mean that our ancestor left the Levant late, or early.  Hello to all my fellow J*'s!  It's a fascinating type to be.  I always thought I felt a little exotic, and wondered about my affinity for the Near East.  Happy New Year!
hdw

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 09:32:06 AM »

I tested with Bryan Sykes's organisation Oxford Ancestors, which avoids all jargon, and gives the different haplotypes names like Jasmine, Oisin, Katrine, Wodan, Helena etc.  All good clean fun, but when you then start checking other DNA-testing websites like FTDNA, you have to learn the correct terminology.

Sykes calls J "Jasmine", and in his book "Blood of the Isles" he distinguishes between Oceanic Jasmines (with the mtDNA mutations 069 126 145 172 222 and 261) who came by the Mediterranean and Atlantic to Britain, and "Land Jasmines" (with 069 126 145 231 and 261) who made their way up through the Balkans and Central Europe.  However, that leaves lots of us who have the 069 and 126 but then different additional mutations - in my case, 163 266 311. I wrote to Sykes asking what my status was, he told me I had one exact match on the isle of Skye in the Hebrides, but in his opinion I was probably a Land Jasmine as I also had a match in Germany.  After studying other websites, I have decided that I am probably what others call a J*, and I've read that people with that profile were involved in both the seaborne immigration into Britain and the landroute.

Harry
hdw

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 09:35:47 AM »

I've literally just (in the last couple of minutes) found another exact match for my unusual J*(?) (Jasmine) sequence of 5 mutations, on the mtDNA database of the Sorenson organisation (www.smgf.org).  My earliest known mitochondrial ancestor was in the Co. Down in Northern Ireland - my new "relative" is a descendant of Silvester Donovan and Elizabeth Lawless who were married in Dublin in 1888.

Harry
hdw

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 05:05:02 AM »

It's a good idea to keep checking the big databases for matches, don't just do it once and give up. I checked Sorenson again yesterday and found another exact match for my J* haplotype, presumably someone who has just registered. This time the trail goes back to Montecello, Georgia, and the name is Moultrie (Scottish).  I googled Montecello, and found that it's "the largest city" in Jasper County - population 2,468.

Harry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 18 queries.