World Families Forums - The VICK family

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:36:53 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The VICK family
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The VICK family  (Read 1864 times)
Suzanne Vick

« on: July 21, 2006, 06:12:14 PM »

Hi
I would be interested to hear from anyone researching the VICK family tree.  I see there are a lot of people in America who have descended from Joseph Vick, who was born in Gloucestershire, England.  I am a Gloucestershire Vick and still live in the area.  Vick is a very rare name in England and is concentrated, to this day, to the Gloucestershire area.  My tree goes back to 1785, so I have not managed to add Joseph yet, but I'm sure he belongs somewhere!
soogles@hotmail.com
Suzanne x
jameslvick
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:47:09 PM »

Suzanne,

I am a descendant of Joseph VICK of Isle of Wight County, Virginia.  My third cousin, one time removed, George Del VICK (now deceased) exchanged letters with Mrs. Henry Thomas VICK in Narrabeen North, New South Wales, Australia.  I have a copy of one of the letters which is dated “5th February 1981.”  In the letter she says the following: “we were over there last year went to Gloucester Records Office and were privileged to be allowed to go through all the bishop's manuscripts back to the early 1600s.”  She goes on to say when discussing the records she found “Two of the Vick girls were excommunicated because they had bastard children, although these babies were baptised.  One of them made respectable a little later as her marriage was registered.”  It sounds like the other VICK female did not have a marriage recorded.

As you may know, we have never found any evidence that Joseph was born in Gloucestershire.  Many have speculated he was born in that area based upon the number of VICKs living there relative to the rest of the U.K.  Now I wonder, could Joseph1 have been born out of wedlock?  Perhaps he took his mother’s surname.  Anything is possible, but maybe it is more likely than we in America have considered previously.  The Y-DNA results from the two VICKs in our VICK Y-DNA surname project with recent English roots (one born in Dorset and the other’s father was born in London – but with roots in Randwick) show they don’t share a common patrilineal ancestor with the Joseph descendants in many thousands of years.  One of our best researchers, Di Ann VICK, visited the Gloucestershire and did research there.  She said she didn’t find any records relating to Joseph.

Have you seen the records regarding the excommunications and out of wedlock births mentioned by Mrs. Thomas VICK?  I am curious if the dates would fit with a birth between 1640 and 1650 (Joseph’s believed likely birth date).

Regards,

Larry
CMCamp

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »

Suzanne,
   I'm also searching for Vicks. The farthest back I have is a James Vick, who married Ellen Fagan. They were wed in Sep 1852, in Middlesex, England. They had 5 children: William Arthur, b: 19 Dec 1889(?); Ed, Monty, Jimmy, and George. I have no other information on this line. don't know if these guys fit into the line you're looking at but thought I'd throw my two pence in.

SarahMarks70

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 03:54:21 PM »

Hi to all,

Not sure whether this will help at all but I have found an excellent site which gives extremely detailed information on the people of Randwick in Gloucestershire - census details, birth marriage and deaths, memorial inscriptions etc

http://www.randwicksources.org.uk/index.html

I have been researching the Fluck surname from these parts and have noticed many references to the VICK family, I have also found that one of my ancestors
Samuel Fluck b 1731 married a Keziah VICK (she died 10th Sept 1789 in Randwick, Glos), they had six children...please let me know if you would like me to post as not sure whether relevant to your research

Kind regards

Sarah
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 17 queries.