World Families Forums - how to get started

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 09:00:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Y-Haplogroups
| | |-+  how to get started
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to get started  (Read 1329 times)
RWHerbertGD

« on: October 09, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »

What is the best way to test if you are a female and just starting? My mothers maiden name was Herbert (Spring Lake, NJ), her mother Weber (born in Brooklyn, NYC), her mother Christiansen (born in Norway) and from there I'm not sure maybe Olsen? Unfortunately there are no living relatives to ask. What test will show me the most information? Does any DNA testing for a female reveal any information for my mothers fathers maternal line in which there are Morses, Conovers, Covenhovens, Lawrences, Schnecks, and many others? Thanks for any information!
cliffsheets

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:03:34 PM »

Getting started depends on where you want to go. If you are searching for your Maternal Line, you can request a mtDNA test. I suggest www.smgf.org. It's free and they will send you a coupon for a paid test from Relative Genetics.

If you want to learn about your paternal surname, get a brother, father, or uncle with that surname or any male relative with that surname and have them take a Y-DNA test.

Good Luck

Cliff
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 18 queries.