World Families Forums - Mitochondrial DNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 11:27:27 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Mitochondrial DNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mitochondrial DNA  (Read 1759 times)
Bill McClure
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:50:23 PM »

I do not really understand how to use mtDNA on females to assist the McClure Family Forum.

Can someone explain it to me, so I may try to get females in my line to test?

In simple terms, Please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 05:53:13 PM »

I do not really understand how to use mtDNA on females to assist the McClure Family Forum.

In simple terms, Please

Mitochondrial DNA is only passed down the female line so MtDNA is a dead end in males. I don't see how it can be used to trace 'family' as Family name is passed down the male line.
fleaddog

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 05:26:37 PM »

Mutations in mitochondrial DNA are copied and passed on from mothers to daughters and sons.  All the daughters are carriers, but not all will be affected; however, young males will  have a high rate of being affected due to the fact that males only have one "X" chromosome, while females have two X chromosomes.  Such is the case with Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy.
J.Rose
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 06:25:34 AM »

In simple terms, Please

Mitochondrial DNA is only passed down the female line so MtDNA is a dead end in males. I don't see how it can be used to trace 'family' as Family name is passed down the male line.
First,you'll need to test your own mother's DNA and also see which female DNA other males of your haplotype tend to have -it's really based on association and similarity.For instance I have two male matches of Ireland with Mc-surnames and we both have the same maternal DNA his mom and my mom=same thing.DNA is about comparing similarities-at least when it comes to matches.Individual DNA would come from the women you marry,whether they be from your country or not.Look on Mitosearch.The women there that have maternal DNA like yours or DNA corresponding to your male haplotype-well those are your female matches. If my males AND female line match my Mc-cousins then I guess we both the same thing-fellow haplotype people.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 17 queries.