World Families Forums - Mitochondrial DNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 04:34:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Mitochondrial DNA
| | |-+  Mitochondrial DNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mitochondrial DNA  (Read 2163 times)
bmccl

« on: July 14, 2006, 01:40:36 PM »

I do not really understand how to use mtDNA on females to assist the McClure Family Forum.

Can someone explain it to me, so I may try to get females in my line to test?

Claire_T

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 10:15:44 PM »

That's a tough one. I am just starting the Toynbee Surname Project whose main goal is to find if there are distinctly different male lines of descent represented by present-day Toynbees, and here's what I did.... 

I included the project goal to, "by means of mitochondrial DNA testing (women and men): Learn more about our female lineages" and posted the first set of mtDNA results (my own), mentioning what I did after receiving them. (I uploaded the results to mitosearch.org and to the National Geographic project, joined the ISOGG's DNA-Newbies mailing list, and also joined the T1 Haplogroup project. Because there were matches from many countries, I also ordered the HVR2 test.)

Cheers,
Claire

jeanfward

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 02:31:09 PM »

? If I understand Mitochondrial DNA correctly, it cannot be used in tracing families using a surname.? These mutations are passed through females only and their names usually change with each generation (marriage).

Surname:  Herren/Sellers/Loe/Pittman/Spivey/Mansel
Chicken n Dumplin

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 06:37:51 AM »

I do not really understand how to use mtDNA on females to assist the McClure Family Forum.

Can someone explain it to me, so I may try to get females in my line to test?

Females matching your own maternal DNA would be matches. Or test females that are in your family.Do you have any females? I hardly have any males,and I guess some males don't have any females.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:38:26 AM by Chicken n Dumplin » Logged

My Haplogroup is mtK HVR1: ,224C,311C,519C. HVR2: ,263G,315.1C,497T,524.1C,524.2A.  These here are some of my sequence #'s.
volkswage

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:46:28 AM »

If I understand Mitochondrial DNA correctly, it cannot be used in tracing families using a surname.?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:46:38 AM by volkswage » Logged

Here you can Buy  DVD for the latest release series and new arriveing bos sets!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 18 queries.