World Families Forums - Sheets DNA Results - Discussion

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:13:28 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Sheets (Moderator: Paul Sheats)
| | | |-+  Sheets DNA Results - Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sheets DNA Results - Discussion  (Read 1697 times)
Paul Sheats

« on: June 09, 2006, 10:26:04 AM »

We now have 4 members with results.  What do these results mean?  As you can see, we have 3 different haplogroups represented so far:  J2, I1a, and R1b1

This means that most of us do not share a common ancestor within tens of thousands of years.

However, S-3 and S-4 are both R1b1, and have a genetic distance of 2, since marker DYS390 is off by two.  There is at least a 68% chance that these two share a common ancestor within the last 24 generations (about 600 years).  I am still learning much about this, so I will post more later.  But the FTDNATiP report notes the following:

These results can be refined if their paper trail indicates that no common ancestor between [S-3] and [S-4] could have lived in a certain number of past generations.

I can re-run the FTDNATiP calculator once we have this information.

Also, a better estimate would occur if member S-4 were to upgrade to more markers.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:06:55 AM by SheetsAdmin » Logged
Cliff Sheets
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 10:31:28 AM »

I guess that makes me S-3 since I had the 37 marker test done. I still haven't heard from S-4. I figure if someone goes through the expense of haveing their Y-DNA mapped, they would want to know if they are related to someone. The furthest back ancestor that we have traced is from Germany and had the name spelled Scheutz. After that it was changed to Sheets or Sheetz when the son of Scheutz moved to America. So, S-4 may be the link to help us get further back.

Is there a good source to trace Haplogroups to a part of the world?
Paul Sheats

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 02:44:24 AM »

Cliff,

Have you seen this site?   https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html

If you click on "genetic markers" at the bottom, you can select your mtdna or y-dna haplogroup
and it will show you a map and time frame.

Paul
James Earl Sheets

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 01:06:49 PM »

I participated in the Nat'l Geographic DNA program and would be happy to share the results if it would be helpful.

J. E. Sheets (S-1)
intlpvti@mac.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.