World Families Forums - I have my results... now what? -- Exploring your FTDNA personal pages

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 10, 2014, 04:40:45 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Sheets (Moderator: Paul Sheats)
| | | |-+  I have my results... now what? -- Exploring your FTDNA personal pages
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have my results... now what? -- Exploring your FTDNA personal pages  (Read 1025 times)
Paul Sheats

« on: November 19, 2006, 01:34:49 PM »

I've decided to do a little write-up of some helpful things to know when you get your results back, and some important things to remember.

Exploring your FTDNA personal pages

Prior to receiving any results, your personal page at FTDNA will only show you estimated dates for the various stages of testing.  Results will normally come back in panels, so you would receive the results of markers 1-12 first, followed by the next panel, and so on.  Sometimes they will come together, and sometimes they will be a week or two apart.  FTDNA will email you whenever new results are back.  You should sign in to your personal pages at FTDNA using the ID and password they gave you.  You will notice you now have other screens to view in your personal pages.  Feel free to explore these.  I will not go into detail here, except to point out some of the most important things, as follows:

1.  Setup Preferences - To start with, you may want to consider changing your match setting to "I want my matches to be set against the entire database".  You will get matches for surnames other than your own, but at least you will start to see matches and get a feel for what options there are when viewing matches.  Many of these matches are not worth persuing, especially at 12 markers.  But they may become important if you end up matching someone closely at 37 or 67 markers with a different surname.  It could happen in the case where a non-paternity event occurred. After a while you may want to turn this option off, or in the case where you are in a more common haplogroup, such as R1b, where you might have hundreds of 12-marker matches.

2.  Upload your results to ysearch.  This is important for others who tested outside of FTDNA to be able to find matches to you.  Sign in to your FTDNA personal page.  Click on Y-DNA Matches on the left hand side of the page.  At the bottom of this page is a section called Additional possibilities for searching matches.  Click where it says Click here to upload to Ysearch.org.  Follow the instructions from there.  Your marker values will automatically be transferred to ysearch, so you don't have to key them in.  You can also upload your GEDCOM at ysearch.  This is separate from the FTDNA GEDCOM (see #3 below), because it is for others who tested outside of FTDNA to be able to view your family tree.

3.  GEDCOM Family Tree - If you are using a software package for your family tree information, you can upload it to FTDNA via a GEDCOM file from this page.  When you get a match on your "Y-DNA Matches" page, it will have a little icon next to it that allows you to view the tree of the person you match, and vise-versa when they see you as a match on their personal page.  To upload your GEDCOM, click on GEDCOM - Family Tree from your main personal page at FTDNA.  Click the Browse button under Y-DNA and find your GEDCOM file on your hard drive.  Follow instructions from there.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 07:54:40 PM by SheetsAdmin » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 20 queries.